Stains New Pool

Jun 14, 2015
Royse City
Just got new pool put in about 1 week ago and I noticed a few stains popping up under the grotto. They look like dirt from the rocks I have scrubbed but nothing. I contacted by pool builder but he is currently out of town with a family emergency. I used a normal brush but though about using an algae brush. My pool has pebble sheen aqua. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• unnamed-20.jpg
    unnamed-20.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 81
Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Step one is to place or hold part of a Trichlor puck against the stain. If it is organic the trichlor should begin to lighten the stain.

If that does noting, pick up an inexpensive bottle of Vitamin C tablets. Hold a tablet against the stain. If it is metals staining the side the Vit C will lighten/remove the stain.

Let us know how those two thing work.

I can't tell from the photo if that is a wall, but yes a chlorine tab. Don't scrub, just hold it against the stain for a few minutes to see if it lightens. Same with the Vit C tablet

No scrubbing. First we are trying to identify what eh stains are made of. Once we know we can recommend solutions.

It would help us if you would add the following information to your signature

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post. Signatures need to fit on five lines. It is fine to put several bits of information on the same line.

Definitely do the trichlor puck and vitamin C tablet experiment first.

However, I would like to offer a *possible* explanation - I believe those stains in the Pebbletek originated from the final acid wash etch step after the pebbletec was applied. The person doing the acid wash probably hit those lovely stones and etched some of the minerals from those stones onto the newly exposed Pebbletec plaster. Depending on the composition of those stones, the stains may or may not be removable.

And how might I suspect this? My pool has some very similar stains in it right under the rock waterfall and they neither grow with time nor are removable with trichlor or vitamin C. I asked a friend of mine that does hardscape work what he thought and he surmised that the PebbleTec crew did a sloppy acid wash near the stones. They use a high pressure washer with acid to reveal the Pebble aggregate. If they are a careful crew, they will cover any stonework to protect the pebble creme (plaster). If they are trying to bang out the job too quickly...well...accidents happen.

I hope your stain is easily lifted! If not, considering how new the pool is, I don't see any reason why you can't contact the PB and ask him to rectify the stain. It is not your fault and you deserve to have a beautiful pool.

Good luck!

Thanks for you response it did lighten it but still there. Do you have pics of your stain? I believe your on the money.

Definitely do the trichlor puck and vitamin C tablet experiment first.

However, I would like to offer a *possible* explanation - I believe those stains in the Pebbletek originated from the final acid wash etch step after the pebbletec was applied. The person doing the acid wash probably hit those lovely stones and etched some of the minerals from those stones onto the newly exposed Pebbletec plaster. Depending on the composition of those stones, the stains may or may not be removable.

And how might I suspect this? My pool has some very similar stains in it right under the rock waterfall and they neither grow with time nor are removable with trichlor or vitamin C. I asked a friend of mine that does hardscape work what he thought and he surmised that the PebbleTec crew did a sloppy acid wash near the stones. They use a high pressure washer with acid to reveal the Pebble aggregate. If they are a careful crew, they will cover any stonework to protect the pebble creme (plaster). If they are trying to bang out the job too quickly...well...accidents happen.

I hope your stain is easily lifted! If not, considering how new the pool is, I don't see any reason why you can't contact the PB and ask him to rectify the stain. It is not your fault and you deserve to have a beautiful pool.

Good luck!

I'll see if I can post some. I can't get a close up and have to stand on the other side of the pool so often you can't see them in a photograph. Though you can easily see them just standing there in person. Human eyes are the best!! (Except for mine because I'm a little color blind :p )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did not see them hit the grotto with acid but they did do the beach entry so this is probably what happened . My pool builder seems to be having some personal issues but his son told me to try the puck as well. I did this and like you said all it did was lighten it but thats all. At this point I am a little upset because the day of the acid I saw them knock it out quick and the guy did have 4 other jobs that day. Not sure where to go from here.

How new is your pool?

You mentioned it's new. If so, the PB should fix it...assuming he's a decent and reputable guy.

When I turned on the grotto I saw the smears going down and I did brush them off but I guess I didn't get them off. They are light in color now but I called a company who said the only way to get it off is with acid which Im not gonna do but maybe he can bring someone here that can do it. My pool is two weeks old.

When I turned on the grotto I saw the smears going down and I did brush them off but I guess I didn't get them off. They are light in color now but I called a company who said the only way to get it off is with acid which Im not gonna do but maybe he can bring someone here that can do it. My pool is two weeks old.

It sounds like the grotto rocks had some residual by-products on them (possibly metal salts from the minerals in the rocks reacting with muriatic acid) and when you turned on the water it washed those salts onto the PebbleTek surface. Ferric chloride would be my guess as many stones have iron in them and ferric chloride is typically formed as a reaction product of iron oxides with muriatic acid. Ferric chloride is brownish colored and can stain surfaces and clothing very easily. It eventual reacts in aqueous solutions and turns back into iron oxide (rust).

So yes, I mild acid wash might do the trick BUT your PB should do it, not you.

I have been dealing with the son the dad is out of town the PB that is. The son wants me to scrub it with a puck and see if it comes out. He says if that doesn't work he will call the company that sprayed the pebble tec. So I guess I will try that first and call him again if it doesn't. Do you have any other suggestions?

It sounds like the grotto rocks had some residual by-products on them (possibly metal salts from the minerals in the rocks reacting with muriatic acid) and when you turned on the water it washed those salts onto the PebbleTek surface. Ferric chloride would be my guess as many stones have iron in them and ferric chloride is typically formed as a reaction product of iron oxides with muriatic acid. Ferric chloride is brownish colored and can stain surfaces and clothing very easily. It eventual reacts in aqueous solutions and turns back into iron oxide (rust).

So yes, I mild acid wash might do the trick BUT your PB should do it, not you.

You can try the puck but it's only going to lighten the stain, not remove it. The plasterer needs to fix it. Tell the son of the PB the puck did not work and you want the plasterer to fix it. Sorry, but this is the PBs job to fix, not yours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.