Normal to have to keep adding chlorine in the beginning?

Ang37

Jun 14, 2015
Clinton, UT
We have been using our pool for a few days, and I keep having to add more bleach after these hot days with lots of use (4 kids, 3-4 adults 5 hours a day). I have my sock of CYA in the pool, but my test strips aren't showing any increase yet. Waiting for a better test kit to come in the mail, but in the meantime these are my numbers (hth test strips):

FC: 0 (for now, but I can usually get it up to 3 by adding bleach at the end of the day)
pH: 7.5
TA: 120-180 (got this down to 80 by lowering pH, but both numbers keep rising after using the pool)
TH: 200
CYA: 0

I haven't run the boost cycle on my SWG since I added bleach at startup. Do I need to do this? Should I just expect this to keep happening until my CYA increases? Do I need to do something different?

Hello Ang. A few notes to try and assist you:
- What test kit did you order?
- Test strips are virtually worthless, you'll see why when you get the right test kit. It's amazing.
- FC should never be at 0, nor for the most part ever be below 2-3. Depending upon the true CYA, the minimum may be even higher which is why you need that test kit.
- Remember the stabilizer in the sock will not register on readings for about a week after its dissolved. :(
- Yes, additional swimmers and sun eat-up FC much faster than a quiet pool. Add no CYA to protect the FC and it really goes fast.

Until your test kit arrives, suggest you simply keep liquid chlorine handy. You can add about 1/2 gallon per day for now.

With your new test kit, we'll be looking for the following: FC, CC, CYA, TA, and PH). CH shouldn't be a big deal for you and your vinyl pool. With those numbers we can really help get your water back on track. Let us know if you have any other question.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, take a few minutes to read the Pool School page on this site. It's outstanding. The links in my signature will also help you a great deal.

This is the one I ordered. I know it's not the suggested test kit, and I'll eventually need an FAS/DPD test; but I couldn't justify spending another $50 after spending way more than we expected just getting our pool up. Amazon.com : Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit with Case - Basic Collection : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

Thanks for the help!

- - - Updated - - -

And now I realize this one may not even test for CYA. :/

As a new guy on here thats just learning the ropes i can tell you right now. RETURN THAT KIT. Buy at a minimum the k-2006 (with maybe the XL option cause you might need it). I just got mine a few days ago and can tell you the basic kit i had that came with my house i'm renting was literally no help to me. It cannot measure over 5ppm of FC so you literally cannot SLAM or properly maintain your pool. Plus there is no annoying guessing with colors like alot of 5 way kits. its either color or no color, so simple.

the k-2006 or t-100 is literally the only way to go especially if you are going to try this method, it literally is the ONLY way to go.

I'm with the majority here, get the proper test kit. The FC measurement in that kit only goes to 5ppm, there is no way to monitor CC (the bad stuff) & as you've realized no CYA test.

Without an accurate CYA result you are guessing. With the recommended 30-40ppm CYA your shock level is 12-16ppm. As already mentioned, you can't measure that high with the kit you bought.

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.