OmniLogic not detecting HUA for Hayward VSP

Jun 20, 2015
Lufkin/TX
I just installed the new Omnilogic Control Panel. When I try to configure the VSP, it does not show up in the list of detected devices. It appears that the OmniLogic panel is unable to "see" it and therefore unable to obtain it's HUA. High voltage wiring is directly to the breaker. Low voltage wiring is to the LS Comm bus as described in the instructions, which is the same as for the ProLogic panel I replaced.

I read in another post that it may be necessary to upgrade firmware for the Hayward VSP. Anyone know how this is done?

What pump do you have, I was told that only Tristar or ecostar pumps are able to be interfaces with the omnilogic, I am in the same boat as you, as I have a super pump vsp, and am waiting for my pool builder to switch the pumps out

Last edited:
I have the Ecostar pump, Hayward SP3400VSP, which I upgraded to in 11/2013. Before the Omnilogic install I had the ProLogic panel that only allowed setup as a 2 speed pump. The old panel had issues like failing to turn on my chlorinator from time to time, overheating and one time it didn't reset the valves properly and drained my spa. Rather than replace with same panel I decided to upgrade. I could try to set up pump as 2 speed but rather use as a variable speed for obvious reasons.

This is my second home that I am trying to sell and am only around on the weekends. I wasted so much time trying to configure the pump that I was unable to finish the configuration. I am using the pump in standalone mode and have some chlorine tabs in the pool until next weekend. Hopefully someone from Hayward can assist me this.

Just spoke with the Hayward rep. He said that I need a new Digital Display, Part#VSX3400LCD, for the 3400VSP since my unit is so old(18 months) and predates OmniLogic. Got it ordered and should have it to install by the weekend. Only $328.76 on Amazon(sarcasm). Will post update.

Hayward has a little racket going with the lack of compatibility of pumps and automation and lack of information to the consumer. When they advertise the OmniLogic, they shouldn't say compatible with Ecostar, rather they should say compatible with Ecostar manufactured after XXXX. Same for the Tristar, they should say compatible with Tristar model number XXXXX.

Just spoke with the Hayward rep. He said that I need a new Digital Display, Part#VSX3400LCD, for the 3400VSP since my unit is so old(18 months) and predates OmniLogic. Got it ordered and should have it to install by the weekend. Only $328.76 on Amazon(sarcasm). Will post update.
Hi ClubJuan,
So did it work? I think I might be in the same boat.

I will pass this information on.
Hi Hayward Pool,
Any updates/information on this issue?
Thanks.

Unfortunately, Hayward did me wrong bigtime!

I called in to Hayward support to troubleshoot this issue between the communication fault between the Ecostar pump and the Omnilogic. After doing a little bit of troubleshooting with me on the phone, in front of my equipment, they determined that the Ecostar I have is incompatible with my Omnilogic. Weird huh??
What they tell you everywhere is that the Omnilogic will control up to a whopping 8 Ecostar pumps. But what they DON'T tell you anywhere, even in their troubleshooting guide, is that the Omnilogic won't communicate with Ecostar pumps made prior to 2015! Well that sucks now doesn't it??

The Omnilogic was launched somewhere between the end of 2014 - beginning 2015. And being that most pool builds are done during the spring-summer season, 2015 spring-summer would be the first for the Omnilogic's. And its not unheard of that most pool distributors/PB's have all sorts of equipment leftover from last year (2014). So how can Hayward make a such a FALSE statement that their Omnilogic's are compatible with up to 8x Ecostar pumps without stating that the requirement is that the pump should be manufactured this year 2015? False advertising if you ask me!!

Also, how could Hayward not think about this and make these Omnilogic's backwards compatible or at the least have a workaround for people who have these Ecostars from prior years?? I called tons of distributors/resellers, authorized warranty reps, PB's, etc... and NONE of them, not even one, knew about this issue. How could Hayward even launch/deploy this item without giving adequate training, information, and/or heads-up on these units.

Now, I'm stuck having to buy another part to fix this issue that costs upwards of $900 just to get the communication between the pump and the Omnilogic!!!! And Hayward will not even do anything to make this right. WHAT!!?!?! This is nonsense!

Hayward dropped the ball big time and has left us early adopters out to dry. Way to go Hayward!!!! Lesson learned.

This seriously impacts Hayward's potential customers. Especially those who are shopping around for PB's to build their pools. Since most PB's stick with one pool manufacturer for their builds. Had I known this from the get go, it might have swayed my decision on choosing a particular pool builder and/or, more so, a pool equipment manufacturer.

You live and learn...
THANKS HAYWARD!

I would like to report that it worked!!!! I bought the LCD module ClubJuan suggested, installed it, and it worked!! The HUA address popped up on the Omnilogic config screen. I can now control my pump from anywhere.
Thank you ClubJuan for the tip.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.