Startup Help

Jun 7, 2015
Norco, CA
Hello,

I am doing an owner builder pool and probably got in over my head a little. At any rate, I am in the last step and will be doing my plaster on Tuesday. Everything I read said I need to start the filter going immediately after the pool is filled, however, the person that is going to do my startup won't be able to make it out for a day or two after the pool is filled. I think I know what I need to do to get it running, but would like some advice on how to get started. My equipment list is in my signature and here are some pictures of the pumps and valves. I am not sure the values are all turned in the correct way or if I need to prime my pump or do anything special before getting started. Here are the steps I think I need to do.

1. Remove pipes from skimmer and install skimmer basket
2. Check valves for skimmer/main drain open
3. Check that filter backwash valve is set to filter
4. Mix 6lb DE
5. Start pump via control panel "Filter Pump" button
6. Pour mixed DE into skimmer drain
7. Check starting pressure

Am I missing anything? Any help is appreciated!

IMG_0377_zps8vbzeaaq.jpg

IMG_0378_zpsbhbbhre1.jpg

IMG_0379_zps3qpiwv1l.jpg

IMG_0380_zps2sydlmp3.jpg

Thanks!
-Matt

Hello Matt! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post about start-up. Talk about a DIY project. Yikes. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. In the meantime, check-out the thread below in case you haven't seen it already. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Congrats on the new pool!

The handle between pool suction and drain needs to have the handle pointing down so it will pull water from the skimmer and the drain. Yes, prime the pump, put a hose in the leaf basket to fill the plumbing with water before turning on the pump. Run the pump 24x7 on mid-rpm, like 2000 rpm.

I do not know anything about that gate valve on your filter. Need to read the manual to make sure it is set to filter. And that you note the clean pressure and backwash when pressure rises 20-25%.

Read the link Pat gave you on plaster start up and do the traditional start up.

Be prepared to test the water. I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net. More on test kits here, Pool School - Test Kits Compared

you will need to be prepared to add chlorine. Plain bleach or liquid chlorine is best. Also, will need to be ready to add 30ppm of CYA in a sock placed in the skimmer. Determine your chlorine level based on the cya level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. And maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times.

Here are the pool school articles to read before Tuesday
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
use poolmath to calculate haw much to add, Pool School - PoolMath

Thanks for the advice and the links. I've pretty much read, and re-read most of the pool school articles and have already received the TF-100 and started learning how to use it on my fill water. Is the use of trichlor tabs ok for startup? I see they are generally discouraged but are a good solution for bringing CYA and chlorine levels up slowly as is required for new plaster.

Thanks again,
-Matt

Good news! You are well on your way. Pucks are fine for chlorinating and raising CYA. The only issue is that starting from 0 they are pretty slow to raise CYA. Maybe put 10 or 20 ppm of cya in a sock in the skimmer and float some pucks too. Fun times ahead!

Oh, and get a nylon brush for brushing your new plaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.