Help help help cloudy water!

May 30, 2015
Holbrook, NY
I went back and forth to the pool store with my samples and all the chemicals are right on according to the last person that checked it.

i have an 18x36 IGP
a DE4820 filter (brand new)
multiport valve
and a 1.5 Hp pump

My pool was completely green when I opened it for the first time .... in about 10 years of clear to somewhat clear.
At this point it is cloudy, but clear at the shallow end.

The gauge starts off at 18psi but after about and hour, climbs to 26PsI and the water stops pumping.

do I just keep back washing and recharging the De filter until it clears? Or am I missing something?

i dropped a lot of cash to get the chemicals right...

So someone, pleasehelp me!!!!

pool is in NY so I only have about 2 months to use it as it is.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome! Unfortunately, you have become yet another pool store victim. :( You must order the proper test kit (TF-100 link below) to obtain the proper test readings. Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Do not add anything to your pool other than what is advocated by the TFP site or its experts. You’ll have a happier pool, spend less time maintaining your pool, and probably save some $$ in the process. The following are short articles from this site that you will see linked in my signature below: Pool School, Recommended Levels (for YOUR pool), PoolMath Calculator, SLAM, and the Chlorine/CYA Chart.

Read the "SLAM" and Chlorine/CYA Chart links below to get prepared for your next step since you receive the proper test kit. Welcome to TFP, and post any more questions you may have.

I love your screen name!

You are on the right track-----finding TFP!

We can help you get your pool clear! You have to help us help you buy getting a good test kit.

Read the links Texas gave you to get your ready to SLAM and clear your pool!

Let us know when you get your test kit and we can walk you through using it.

Kim

What is happening in your pool is that algae is growing, chlorine is killing it and dead algae is clogging up your filter. The only way to stop that cycle is to SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool. Otherwise this cycle could go on forever.

The reason this happens is because there is not enough chlorine in the pool. Chorine level is set based on the CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Chlorine must be maintained at the target level and never be allowed to drop to the minimum level to keep your pool sanitized and algae free.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.