Just Uncovered Pool and Need a Little Help

BB BMW

May 14, 2013
Alabama (Roll Tide)
I uncovered my pool two weeks ago. Vacuumed and cleaned all week, began testing water and I need some suggestions.

The water is clean but cloudy.

PH - 7.3 looks good
CL - is way low at about 1.3 or lower. I've been adding bleach for two weeks now and it still hardly registers.

I ran out of CYA regent, but could still see the black dot. I think it's about 20, not sure.
I've ordered more regent and it should be here this week.
Is there anything I can do or try until then that might help?

I've been backwashing and running the pump for 24/7.

Thanks

A SLAM sounds like it is order. Read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • The water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Hmmm... low CYA and massive chlorine appetite smacks of Ammonia.

You could have the pool store test for it, or buy a cheap ammonia test at a pet store/aquarium.

If you have a FAS-DPD test that allows you to measure CC, there is a way to check that way, too.

In any case... the solution is bleach.

awwwwwww but you will not smell the ammonia. If only it were that easy.

You can also put in 2 gals of bleach, run the pump for 30 mins and test for FC. Let us know the results of this little test.

Either way-ammonia or no bleach is your friend.

Kim

Thanks, but there is no ammonia smell, so CYA must not be so low.
There is no correlation between ammonia and CYA. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It will help you get started with a SLAM and will help you understand the importance of chlorine and CYA in your pool.

Whether you have ammonia or not is not really important. What is important is that your FC is being consumed in excess. You stop that by SLAMming the pool.

After you read the "ABC's", I would read the SLAM article, get your CYA reagent in and post a complete set of test results just before you SLAM....we'll help.

You can also put in 2 gals of bleach, run the pump for 30 mins and test for FC. Let us know the results of this little test.

Kim

OK...going to buy more bleach and try this.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

There is no correlation between ammonia and CYA. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It will help you get started with a SLAM and will help you understand the importance of chlorine and CYA in your pool.

Whether you have ammonia or not is not really important. What is important is that your FC is being consumed in excess. You stop that by SLAMming the pool.

After you read the "ABC's", I would read the SLAM article, get your CYA reagent in and post a complete set of test results just before you SLAM....we'll help.

I've read the ABC"s and Slamming Your Pool.
I feel like I have read everything on this site twice over the past few years.
I really need the CYA regent to get all of my readings, then I'll have more info.

Thanks guys/gals for all of the input.

Kim

Added 2 gallons of bleach, waited 30 minutes and tested the PH and CL.

PH = 7.6
CL = 1.5-2

Will test again in the morning.

BB you are going to need a LOT of bleach. 2 gals of bleach should have pushed your FC much higher than that in 30 mins.

If at all possible I would like you to test, add bleach to bring your FC to your SLAM level and retest in 30 mins. add to bring to SLAM level, repeat as much as you can.

What you are trying to do is to get ahead of the lose of FC. You will KNOW when you are winning when you go to test and your have held more of your FC. At that time you can back off to testing every hour. Once you FC will hold move to every other hour.

The harder you hit is today the fast it will go.

BB can you also look at your date code on your bleach please. We just had one person that bought bleach with a date code of 2013! :(

Kim

BB you are going to need a LOT of bleach. 2 gals of bleach should have pushed your FC much higher than that in 30 mins.

If at all possible I would like you to test, add bleach to bring your FC to your SLAM level and retest in 30 mins. add to bring to SLAM level, repeat as much as you can.

What you are trying to do is to get ahead of the lose of FC. You will KNOW when you are winning when you go to test and your have held more of your FC. At that time you can back off to testing every hour. Once you FC will hold move to every other hour.

The harder you hit is today the fast it will go.

BB can you also look at your date code on your bleach please. We just had one person that bought bleach with a date code of 2013! :(

Kim

Will do. I'll add much more bleach today.

I found two different Brands of bleach.
One was $1.50 per gal @ 3%
One was $2.28 per gal @ 5%

Which is the better value?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am very happy to see that your FC (that is Free Chlorine please use that instead of CL) is still around 5 or so.

If you have a pool store that is easy for you to get to some of them will let you put a deposit down on their jugs and buy their liquid chlorine that is 11%.

Happy SLAMing!

Kim

I tried calling around Gadsden, AL and was told by ALL of the pool stores that they didn't have any liquid chlorine... seems that they all JUST sell trichlor, and Dichlor these days. But I have not given up looking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.