Air getting into pump filter basket

Morning, I am getting air in my pump filter basket, not a lot, but enough that it is noticeable. I have two lines, one from Main drain and the other from the skimmer, coming from the pool that meet at a valve housing so I can draw water from either or both at any given time. I only get air in the pump basket when I have the valve set to either skimmer only or main only, and no air at all when it is set to both. Obviously both is the best position to leave it in, but why would this happen? Any ideas?

Also what is the best way to seal the joints on the plumbing lines, the pool is 15 years old now, and some of the joints may be weakening, can I just go around and seal them with silicone caulk?

Thank you,
Tim

PS I love this site, its helped me solve may pool chemistry issues and saved me money on it as well!

Welcome! :wave:

I wonder if the shaft seal on the three-way hasn't taken a set and it dislikes being in any position other than centered?

Set the valve so it's bubbling in the pump basket and either spray water all over the shaft or coat it with shaving cream. If the bubbles go away or you see foam in the basket, you've found your leak. You can buy overhaul kits for three-ways.

The only other thing I can thing of is that it isn't air but vacuum because your plumbing is too small or the runbs are too long and you need both feeds to supply enough water to the pump. But that seems really unlikely.

Hello and welcome to TFP! Have you tried everything on this link: Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks
Let us know if you need more assistance. Have a nice day.

As for sealing around joints, could you expand - are you referring to joints on the suction side, pressure side, or both? Could make a difference.

Your pump generates a certain amount of suction which is then used to draw water from the skimmers and/or the main drain. When you restrict the ability to suck, by selecting a single source, you are more likely to draw air from a source that is not normally affected. If the air is showing up in your pump basket, the leak will most likely either be the o-ring on your 3-way valve or the cap of the basket chamber itself. As suggested in another reply, try to find the leak with shaving cream, dish soap or get your ear right down there and listen for a sucking noise (alternate is to take a length of 1/2 dia hose and hold that to your ear, using the other end to probe for the noise of the leak. An old mechanics trick). Replacing O-rings is cheap and easy and make sure you coat them with a good silicone grease. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.