Great forum!

Jun 20, 2015
Phx Az
New pool owner here (came with house) small 15x30 oval above ground. Drained and cleaned the pool, filled in march. Had no idea how pools worked. Got pool stored. CYA high (100+) by the beginning of june from floating tabs. Drained a little over half. CYA now around 55. Now following your method for liquid chlorine. Water feels better looks clearer.. Thank you guys! One weird thing is every time i do a CC test CC turns up lower than FC. possibly bad reagent?? Im using a k-2005 test kit I will be getting a fas-dpd test soon. Yesterday was 114 degrees and I lost about 4 ppm FC. Pool is in the sun from sun up until about 6pm.

FC 10
TA 85-90
PH 7.4
CYA 55-60

Welcome!

Great forum indeed, I can not believe how clear my pool is now that I'm in control.

The TFPC method is so easy compared to previous years (all the chemicals, time & $$$) that sometimes I feel like I'm guilty of neglect while I'm just lounging in the pool LOL.

Dom

particleman- we are confused by your confusion. If your pool is clean there should be 0 CC. CC is what FC turns into after it's done it's job. So what you could see is FC going down and CC going up. But CC should always, except in a few special cases, be less than FC.

Ah, with the K-2005 you have to do subtaction:

1 Rinse and fill small comparator tube to 9 mL mark with water to be tested.
2 Add 5 drops R-0001 and 5 drops R-0002. Cap and invert to mix.
3 Match color with color standard.* Record as parts per million (ppm) free chlorine (FC).
4 Add 5 drops R-0003. Cap and invert to mix.
5 Match color immediately. Record as ppm total chlorine (TC).
6 Subtract FC from TC. Record as ppm combined chlorine (CC). Formula: TC - FC = CC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.