Pristine Blue....

Jun 19, 2015
Nashville, TN
I know there are dozens of threads on the topic. :) We have a new pool and started pristine blue about 3 weeks ago and then found this site. I am quite sure we made a mistake. So.... how to get it back to a chorine based pool (without eyes burning and all that). :)

24 round above ground

Last store reading:

Free available chlorine was .05
Total chlorine was .25
Combined: .2
PH 8 (I just put in the PH reducer so I will read that later today)
Total alkalinity (input) 90
Total alkalinity (adjusted) 79
Calcium hardness 199
Cyanuric acid 33
Copper .6
Iron .3
Maganese 0
nitrates 0
total dissolved solids 0
phosphates 0
saturation index .5

Have a lot of reading to do, but what to do to get it to a sanitizer based system? ;?
:p

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

If I understand that system, it is really a copper based system. Your copper reading seems awful high for 3 weeks. You need your own test kit and cut the cord with the pool store that sold you that bill of goods.

Order a TF100 test kit. That will give you what you need for a couple of years normal use.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. Yo need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

You don't say how big your pool is, but you want to keep at least 4ppm chlorine in the pool. Do you have one of the cheap test kits now?

Thanks!

It's a 24 round above ground. We do have a cheap test kit.

Pristine Blue wants the copper around .9 or so? It was at 1 two weeks ago. I am supposed to add more, but I don't want to. :)

How do I bring that copper down without damaging anything else when converting to regular old chlorine?

Pristine Blue wants the copper level high and the pH low. It's the low pH that is an attempt at preventing metal staining but it is very hard to keep the pH lower in pools though PristineBlue claims that 7.2 to 7.6 is OK. According to their Pool & Spa Guide their recommended copper level is 0.9 ppm, but that is high enough to stain plaster surfaces at the higher end of their recommended pH range. I presume your pool is a vinyl liner pool (you said it was 24' above-ground) so that is your only saving grace because copper doesn't stain as readily on vinyl as it does on plaster. If you have white fiberglass steps in the pool or a white skimmer, then that's where you'll probably first see staining. Also, if you have anyone with blond hair, they may have it turn greenish using the pool.

You can just dilute the water over time to reduce the copper level and in the meantime try and keep the pH from getting too much above 7.5 and hopefully you'll be OK.

Pristine Blue wants the copper level high and the pH low. It's the low pH that is an attempt at preventing metal staining but it is very hard to keep the pH lower in pools though PristineBlue claims that 7.2 to 7.6 is OK. According to their Pool & Spa Guide their recommended copper level is 0.9 ppm, but that is high enough to stain plaster surfaces at the higher end of their recommended pH range. I presume your pool is a vinyl liner pool (you said it was 24' above-ground) so that is your only saving grace because copper doesn't stain as readily on vinyl as it does on plaster. If you have white fiberglass steps in the pool or a white skimmer, then that's where you'll probably first see staining. Also, if you have anyone with blond hair, they may have it turn greenish using the pool.

You can just dilute the water over time to reduce the copper level and in the meantime try and keep the pH from getting too much above 7.5 and hopefully you'll be OK.
Well, there you go - Keep the pH 7.5 or below and use chlorine.

You still need your own test kit to keep track of things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.