Ants in the pool

Aug 12, 2014
Ocala, FL
Hi everyone,

First I want to say how thankful I am for this site. I am a brand new pool owner, as this is our first summer with a pool, and I have already learned so much and solved a few of my own problems just by searching this site. But now, I have a problem that I can't seem to find much guidance on.

We have dead fire ants floating in our pool. At first, we could see them crawling on the concrete pool deck, so we treated the outside perimeter of the screen enclosure with Amdro and some kind of stakes you put in the ground like bait stations. Now, we no longer see the ants crawling on the deck, but they are everywhere in the pool itself now and I can't tell where they're even coming from. I have to clean my cartridge filter at least 2x each week because the flow to the SWG becomes insufficient due to the accumulation of ant bodies in the filter. I've had to dump bleach in twice because my FC was zero. ZERO.

I can skim the surface of my pool forever - I usually stop after 20 minutes because I get so frustrated - because it seems like the ones I scoop out are replaced by more constantly. It's never clean. And if I put on a mask and look underwater - there are ant bodies at various stages of sinking throughout the pool. Gross. Luckily, Jaws sucks up the ones on the bottom, but if I don't keep him running every day the floor will be covered with ant bodies.

I am so frustrated I don't know what else to do. It seems we have controlled them coming in thru the bottom of the screen enclosure, but where are they coming into the pool from? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide this newbie. You all rock!

-Amy

Hi Amy,
Welcome to TFP!

Im afraid I dont have much of an answer for you but I think this will just take time. Keep the Amdro all around all the time, and I think eventually the ants will go somewhere else.

I had a similar problem last year and it just took a while, but they did finally go somehwere else.

Somehow, they found a way into your water, though I dont have any idea of how. But I think they got in there in attempt to escape the Amdro and other stuff you have done.

have you tried skimmer socks to keep them out of your filter? you would still need to watch the skimmer socks so they dont block all water going to your filter..

Thank you all for your replies. I noticed upon closer inspection today that there are several dead ants on one end of the pool deck. They're so tiny I think they're getting blown into the water after they die. Guess the Amdro is working somewhat.

The skimmer sock - I read another thread about that today. I want to try this, so I'll buy some nylons tonight when I go shopping. Now, how exactly do you put this on the basket? Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.