Polaris cleaner bags, which one?

lovingHDTV

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I have a 280 cleaner and need to buy a new bag.

I see several different ones for sale, but don't really know the differences.

Leaf bag - is it bigger?
silt bag - finer?
all purpose - ?
zippered - does this mean the other ones don't have zippers?

I like the bag I got with it fine, but would not mind a bigger one if possible. I'm assuming that I got the all purpose zippered (if that exists) as it does have a zipper on it. This bag has worked great, but is worn out.

thanks,
dave

Your Polaris came with a K-16 bag. The K-14 is finer (Sand-Silt bag). Same size, both with velcro closures. The All-Purpose bage is a K-13, and has a nylon zipper. All are essentially the same size, since oversizing would permit too much weight in the bag, and possibly affect the performance of the unit.

I use the zippered silt bag on mine, mostly because that is what it had when we bought the house. ;) However, I do like that it doesn't leave anything visible behind on the bottom of the pool. I haven't had to vacuum the pool in the 2+ years that we've lived here. 8)

I bought my last one on eBay for far less than the cost of one at the local pool store...

el duderino said:
lukepools said:
buy two zipper bags. regular mesh. Don't get the leaf or silt.

Why?

Care to elaborate on this comment?
Leaf bag = doesn't have enough back pressure on the bag to fill it out. The bag isn't any bigger than the other bags.

Silt bag = too thin, gets holes in it easily. I don't think they make it zippered.

I haven't tried one of the Polaris bags with a zipper, but I have been somewhat unhappy with the velcro closure bags. The velcro tends to get crud in it and wear out so that it stops sealing tightly... If the bag doesn't seal tight, your cleaner turns into a dirt repositioner.

The leaf and all purpose bags are pretty good, and work about the same, with the leaf bag being just a skosh bigger, but not enough to make a real difference. The silt bag is smaller, and also works well, but you need to watch it very closely in use - I had one brand new bag destroyed the first time I used it - we get a lot of sand and silt in our pool, not sure where it comes from, and this was early spring so we had a lot built up. I put the new silt bag on one evening, left the cleaner running overnight - came out the next morning, and found the Polaris laying on its side doing donuts around the bag... Needless to say the concrete pool bottom had eaten a BIG hole in it... :cry:

Gooserider

Reactions: HermanTX
My original bag had a zipper, but it does not open the entire side of the bag, so I was always having trouble getting all the gunk out.

I bought two velcro bags and just emptied one for the first time. Hmm, it presents a different issue. I find that after opening it, and dumping it, the velcro likes to close back on its self. I had to fold it open to get it to dump.

As I bought two bags, I can let one drying and one cleaning. Emptying the dry bag made more difference that the closure type for me.

I highly recommend two bags!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.