My Hayward Star-Clearâ„¢ Plus filter is rusting?

Nov 13, 2007
South Florida
Hello
I have a Hayward Star-Clearâ„¢ Plus C17502. The filter is only two years old but the stainless steel rod that goes down the center is rusting. There is one spot that always rust. Its like an imperfection or an artifact in the stainless when it was manufactured. I wouldn't want the rust particles to go through and stain my pool. Any idea on the warranty or where to buy the rod.
Thanks.

Could be an issue with the stainless manufacturing (lord knows there have been enough problems with the 'supposed' stainless faceplate screws of late) and the salt in the pool is attacking it (alternately, you may have run the pool for a while with low pH [ < 7.0])

The part # is CX1750Z2 (it's called the "tie rod") and, as of 2006, listed for $108.46.

I don't know the warranty nor where you should look for one, but with the part # and proper name for it and the old list price - you should be able to do a little searching and get a good price :-D

The problem might be that the surface passivation in that area has been removed. You can restore it by cleaning all of the "rust" off (it actually is called brown staining) and applying a special paste to it. You can usually get stainless steel passivation paste at some of the larger marine supply stores.

dschlic1 said:
The problem might be that the surface passivation in that area has been removed. You can restore it by cleaning all of the "rust" off (it actually is called brown staining) and applying a special paste to it. You can usually get stainless steel passivation paste at some of the larger marine supply stores.

Will do as it seems to be my only economical option at this point. See the text below for my reply from Hayward tech support. Thanks again TFP

The basic warranty to the original purchaser covers the product for
defects for a period of one year from the date of purchase (proof of
purchase required), excluding failure due to problems with improper
installation, improper use, or improper maintenance.

Warranty
service is available locally through the Hayward Authorized SERVICER
in your area. Contact you local Hayward Authorized Servicer. Inform
them of the problem or symptoms, the model and serial number for your
equipment, and arrange a service appointment.
You can locate a
Hayward Authorized Servicer in your area by calling 800-882-0420 at
our website by entering your zip code. Just go to:
http://www.haywardnet.com/locator/

Provide proof of purchase
information in the form of an invoice, receipt, or contract listing
the model and serial numbers. The warranty registration card
contains this information. You can obtain a copy of your warranty
registration by calling 908-850-1848.

Hayward Technical Services
One Hayward Industrial Drive
Clemmons, NC (USA) 27012
908-355-7995

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.