We just want to swim!

Jun 19, 2015
Northampton PA
Hello everyone!

I am a new pool owner; moved into a house with a pool over a year ago and it has been nothing but trouble. I was defeated last year, but hope to get control this summer.

I am here for help, but will be posting in the appropriate forums. I apologize in advance, because I know nothing about pools and will probably be asking stupid questions. I've read many of the older posts, but a lot of them just confused me.

This looks like a nice community, and I hope I can be a part of it.

Julia

Combined with "Hello from Julia" to keep all pool questions in a single thread. Zea3

This is my second summer with a pool, and last year I never could get the water completely clear.

A little background:
March of 2014 I rented this house that had 5000 gallon above ground pool. The pool was not covered and the water in it was black.
My landlord told me the last tenant did not maintain or close it properly, but the landlord promised he would open the pool, which he did. But we could never get ahead of the green/blue cloudiness. Clear one day, the kids used it, then cloudy for 2 or 3 days.
Found out from the neighbor that the previous tenant had let the pool sit open and untreated, not just for the winter, but for over 24 months!
I kept taking water samples to the pool store and they kept selling me stuff. I had the small test kit and the chlorine always tested fine.

Now, this year, when the landlord opened the pool for me, the water looked just a little green/blue. I did what he told me, but still have green/blue cloudiness.
Then I found this site!
I bought the big test kit and here are my results from this afternoon:

Chlorine-0 (put the bag of shock in last night!)
FC-0
Ph-7.2
CYA 30
TA 110
CH 230

After reading on the forum, I bought liquid chlorine (12.5%) and I have started the SLAM procedure. Does anyone have any other advice?

I am still ignorant when it comes to these chemicals, and the test kit was confusing, however, using the pool math, I think only the chlorine (free and otherwise) are the problem.

thanks!

Looks in decent shape, just need to follow the SLAM process at this point ... and certainly stick to the liquid chlorine.
Some of the powders (cal-hypo) can actually make the water cloudy.

Post up your FC and CC numbers (and pictures :D) as you go so we can see the progress.

Re: Hi from Julia

I bought the Leslie's 18-676, which is listed as Taylor k-2005. It says:

Total Poolcare DPD test kit
Free and total Chlorine
pH
Acid & Base Demand
total Alkalinity
Calcium Hardness
Cyanuric Acid

Your list says I need the FAS/DPD test? Can you tell me what that tests? I am soooo confused!

Re: Hi from Julia

FAS/DPD is for testing chlorine levels higher than 10ppm. You can purchase that test separately from and add it to your current testing supplies if you need to slam the pool. How does your water look now?

With CYA of 30 it is important to keep your chlorine level at shock level of 12 as much as possible. Early in the SLAM you should test and chlorine/bleach every 2-3 hours if you can. Once the chlorine level holds better you can add 2-4 times per day. Brush the pool a couple of times per day to expose the algae to chlorine and kill it faster and speed up the process.

20150620_065123.jpg

I didn't get to test after I started SLAMing last night, it got too dark, so I don't know how much FC I lost during the night.

Am I supposed to just test for FC during the SLAM or everything?

This mornings reading was FC 1, so I added the recommended chlorine (64 oz) that the pool math said to add.

As you can see in the picture, it doesn't look too bad, but I know this is where I was tricked last year. I will SLAM all day, and see what happens tomorrow.

Two questions (excuse me if they were covered elsewhere, but I did read many posts on this forum, but didn't see these answers)

Do you vacuum during SLAM?

Do you recommend not using the chlorine tablets in the floating dispenser?

Thanks so much and excuse me if I ask the obvious.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, Julia,
We just want to swim!

We want you to swim, too, but you need to get your SLAM going correctly. The questions you are asking are covered thoroughly in the SLAM article in Pool School.

It does not sound like you are absorbing and following that article to a "T", which is required to make your SLAM a success and your water crystal, crystal clear.

I don't mean to sound like a scold but you cannot attempt this half-heartedly.

Would you post some current test numbers, please?

A SLAM is not a one time deal. You need to get your FC up to shock level and keep it there until the three SLAM criteria are met. Letting it fall to 1ppm is just starting over again, most likely loosing any progress made. Start in the morning of a day you can give the pool 100% of your time. You need to check every hour or so and add enough clorine to make sure you never fall below shock level.

Please post a full set of test results including CC.

Dom

Hi, Julia,

We want you to swim, too, but you need to get your SLAM going correctly. The questions you are asking are covered thoroughly in the SLAM article in Pool School.

It does not sound like you are absorbing and following that article to a "T", which is required to make your SLAM a success and your water crystal, crystal clear.

I don't mean to sound like a scold but you cannot attempt this half-heartedly.

Would you post some current test numbers, please?

Sorry, I missed the part about vacuuming.

Test numbers after about 1 1/2 from first test this morning:
fc-3
TC-3
CC-0
pH 8.2
TA 220
CH240
CYA 30

According to the site's pool math, I added 1 qt, 2 cups and 3oz.

The test numbers from before I started are above in a previous post

Is that what you need? Sorry I'm such a mess with this.

You are still learning. After a while YOU will be the one answering questions!

I want to make sure you did order the test for the chlorine. That is SO important.

Go over and over the SLAM. I would even print it out and make notes on the paper as you so each thing.

You can do this! Good luck!

Kim

You are doing fine! I came in overwhelmed too. Since you are going to SLAM, you need to
Use muriatic Acid to bring your PH down to 7.2. Use pool math for correct amount of MA. Test 30 minutes later. If PH us down to 7.2 proceed with keeping the FC at shock level and don't worry about testing PH again during SLAM as it won't test accurately with a high FC (FC over 10).

PS. You've got this! And we will help you along the way! [emoji5]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of you following, I've been adding the liquid chlorine at the amount from the pool math page.

10 am test 3 ppm
11:15 test 3 ppm
12:30 test 3 ppm
3:00 test 3 ppm

Long break because I had to buy more chlorine.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance!

For those of you following, I've been adding the liquid chlorine at the amount from the pool math page.

10 am test 3 ppm
11:15 test 3 ppm
12:30 test 3 ppm
3:00 test 3 ppm

Long break because I had to buy more chlorine.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance!

If you are adding enough bleach to get you back to 12-14 FC each time you've tested, then yes, you are on the right track. The trick here is the "M" in SLAM, which stands for Maintain. You want to maintain that 12-14 FC as long as you are SLAMMING. Thats the only way the water will clear up. You should also be brushing your pool a couple times a day during the SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.