Heat (from sunlight) causes issues with Aqua Rite controller?

ABQ_Pool

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 31, 2011
Chandler, AZ
Hi -
Basically - anyone know of any issues with the Hayward Aqua Rite chlorine generators and a high heat (desert) environment?

so, first off my username says ABQ_Pool, but it should be PHX_Pool now. I recently moved to Phoenix and have purchased a house that has an existing pool (in ground, plaster, maybe 15k gallons). It has a newish Hayward DE filter and Hayward variable speed pump already, so I thought I'd just purchase a Hayward Aqua Rite SWG. Since the reviews looked good on TFP, I purchased one and called a local pool contractor to come hook it up. He came by today while I was at work and said he'd be happy to hook it up but wanted to warn me that the AZ heat would really destroy the innards of the SWG controller. He said he has personally serviced several Aqua Rite systems due to this problem. He recommended an chlorine generator by SGS (SGS Breeze) and named off a few reasons why it was better: you can see the plates through the clear housing (doesn't seem like a critical item), simpler controls (I do subscribe to KISS...), he's never had a problem. He made it clear he didn't sell them (if I wanted to get it I'd need to purchase somewhere) and that he would install whatever I wanted him to.

By doing a quick search on TFP, there's not a lot of info to go on, although there are a bunch of posts by "guest" who has a lot of positive things to say about the product. I also can't find any specific problems associated with high heat environments and Aqua Rite SWGs.

I want to go with my gut, which would be to install what I've purchased (Aqua Rite) and put something in place to block all direct sunlight from the pool equipment, but I felt like I should at least post this here to see if there are any issues with this that I'm not uncovering from my 30 minute (aka exhaustive :) ) search.

Thanks as always for your help!

I had one at my previous house and have the ProLogic at my current house. No issues even still sitting in the sun. I do intend to put a cover up to get the sun off the equipment though.

The Hayward has been around a long time with a large user base so it is usually easier to find help. There are a few know issues like the current limiter (which could be what he has encountered and likely charge $100s to replace a board when it only need a $3 part soldered on the board).

I have never heard of the SGS so you would be in uncharted territory. There was a member posting yesterday about trying to find a replacement cell for a SWG that came from a company that went out of business.

BTW, I am not sure how it gets much more simpler than turning the dial in the AquaRite to set the % output ;)

Also, if you have any DIY experience, installing the system yourself is not very hard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.