Brand new intex 3000 gph sand filter has borderline high pressure.

May 30, 2015
Southern Illinois
I used #20 pool sand, filled it between the lines it suggested, made sure to get none in the pipe, backwashed as instructed for 3 minutes and the water was clear. Then I rinsed for 3 minutes as instructed. Then when I put it to filter it was at 10psi which is right on the line between green and yellow. After a day or two of filtering it was in the yellow. I backwashed again the same as before and it dropped back to 10 psi. My question is, why is the filter starting out at such a high psi? Is there something wrong with it? I also get sand in the sediment window when backwashing and have noticed it spitting some sand into the pool after I backwash. Not sure if that is related but unsure of how to proceed at this point.

When you do a routine back wash you only need to wait for water to turn clear. Usually about 1 minute. Then rinse 30 sec to 1 minute. I get a little sandin pool after backwash, but less than a teaspoon. The guages are cheap and I usually just backwash when my return flow slows down from the return.

- - - Updated - - -

Also my PSI was 5, but after I installed my skimmer it changed to 9psi for clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.