On Peak or Off Peak

Do you run your pump ON Peak or OFF Peak

• Total voters
Feb 10, 2008
Gilbert AZ
I did a cost comparison between running my pump during on peak & off peak hours. The results are quite amazing. In my case I will save approx $42.00 a month running the pump off peak during the summer and $10.00 a month running the pump off peak during the winter. This averages to approx $26.00 per month or a savings of $312.00 per year. So my question is how many of you run your pumps, on peak or off peak?

I have the timer set to run at off-peak hours. Of course, I don't turn the Freeze Guard off. But I'd rather pay a little more $ than run the risk of freezing pipes.

That's a tough call. I have time of day metering, and I also have a 10KW solar array on my roof that generates about 1200 KWH per month. You would think the answer would be obvious as there is about a 10 cent per kwh difference between peak and off peak pricing. But what complicates it is that I have a heatpump and a small solar water heating unit. Obviously the solar will only work during peak hours. The heat pump can work anytime, but it is much more efficient when it is nice and warm out versus during the cool nights.

My solution was to invest in a Pentair Intelliflow pump. What I do now is run the pump 24/7 at a very low speed which is enough to get heat from the solar during the day yet only draws about 200 watts of power.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.