laying the groundwork for our new pool

Jun 19, 2015
Magalia CA
Hi everyone! New to this forum and site, and am enjoying the information I am seeing here. My question is about foundation. Our backyard is definitely not level, and I know the most important part of putting up a pool is to make sure the base is level, so I have dug into (on the highest side 13') the ground instead of building up. It has been back-breaking work, but successful. I only have a small amount left to level. So ,our base is solid, we have a very hard red clay here in north eastern California, but I am unsure on whether to cover this with a small layer of sand, or to buy some polystyrene foam sheets to lay down. The other question is about pavers to brace the legs, do I need them, and if I do, how do incorporate them with either the sand layer or polystyrene? Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

My thinking would be to add both sand and then poly. It would take very little sand to give you an even, solid surface for the poly to sit on.

Pavers are essentials to distribute the weight. Dig out enough of your current base for each of them so they are flush with the surrounding surface. Again sand will help fill in around them.

There's really only three components to an above ground dig.....level, level and level!

You have done quite a bit of work already it seems like. Hard work for sure!

I like the foam sheets just because they are so soft on the feet AND do not cause any wrinkles or divots.

Some sand would be okay to give your pool a kind of smooth bottom.

Think about your clay/ground when it rains. Will your legs NOT sink down when it rains? Or slide?

You will dig down (sorry more digging) so that the paver are level with the ground.

Kim

Hello fellow Northern Cal Member ...

Click the link to my build in my signature, a lot of photos and ideas that might help you. Dave is spot on. I did minor leveling with the sand and Kim is correct, I have had pools with no insulation (Just dirt and sand) and now I have the insulation, what a difference. The sand gets you a smooth surface for the insulation (very small amount of sand to do the final leveling) and the insulation is nice to walk on and gives you a great bottom for vacuuming and such ... Good Luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.