Pool store advice/errors need help

Mar 18, 2012
Been away from my pool for a year. Daughter and grandsons in charge. After first swim party since my return pool became cloudy/slight green tinge. I brushed, vacuumed and raised chlorine somewhat for 2 days--no better. First store told me my CYA was 150. I left. I got 75-95, old eyes not so good. Second store said 95 and told me that was ok--continuing to use pucks fine--but must buy/use phosfree for 3 days and then perfect weekly program. Cost $100++. I left. #'s were FC 2ppm, pH 7.6, TA 90, CH 150 CYA 95, phosphates 800. I added 6 pints 8.5% bleach FC up to 13.5 but still too cloudy. I'm in Sacramento so even a partial drain/refill would result in 10 year sentence, minimum. Superchlorinate? How much should I add if so. Any ideas appreciated.

Your chlorine is too low for your CYA level and algae is beginning to grow.

Phosfree is not the answer, as SLAM is. Plus, the guy who told you 95 is good and to keep using tabs is either ill informed of lying.

Read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end. The problem you will have is it will take massive amounts of chlorine to kill the algae with CYA that high.

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
The water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

The cure is bleach and brushing and time.

You've complicated matters with the phosfree. I'm actually rather startled that you didn't report that the water is now milky. Did you read the instructions the manufacturer provides? They even say algae must be treated first.

For DE & Cartridge Filters: Do not add more than 1.5L (48oz) at a time. If more than 1.5L (48oz) is needed to treat, be sure to clean or backwash the filter between treatments.

Important: Algae must be treated prior to testing and lowering phosphates. Chlorine must be under 5ppm before testing phosphates.

http://naturalchemistry.com/en/pool-spa/products/detail/phosfree/

After the stuff has had time to collect and goop up your filter cartridge, you need to clean it off. And then SLAM. Take the FC way up. At 95 CYA, it's going to be an unbelievable 37 FC. :shock:

Call the water company. They may allow a one-time swimming pool fill without penalties, as long as you arrange it. It costs nothing to call and ask. If you can dilute the pool, even down to 60 CYA, it will help a lot.

My pool store tested phosphates during an algae bloom and said they were 1500. Per TFPC advice I did not treat the phosphates and instead did a SLAM. Pool is good now. I asked the pool store to test phosphates again when I went in for supplies. This time they said 300 and that it was fine. I pointed out that they had told me 1500 the week before. This person who I have found to be one of the best at this store (she was also the one that said to stop using granular because I was driving my CYA too high) asked if I had algae when they tested before and I said yes. She told me algae interferes with the phosphate test and that in the middle of a bloom I should not worry about anything but chlorine until the bloom was gone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.