New to blog. Need help with a dead motor!

My Pentair 2HP quit working. It was humming and kicking the beaker; research lead me to buy a new solenoid; tried to bench test it, to no avail; power is getting to motor connectors and capacitor. Still won't kick on bench.
icon8.png

Hello Adamundo and welcome to TFP! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific electrical question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

Hello and welcome to TFP,
you have probably checked this already, but have you checked to see if the pump turns by hand to eliminate bad bearing (seized up). You say it hums, sounds like the windings are getting voltage, just refusing to turn.

If you have an ohm meter, check the resistance across the windings to see if there is an open or broken winding. (an infinite reading instead of a resistance reading)

Let us know what you find out, but depending on the age it could be motor replacement time :(

update, throwing the breaker could also mean a short, which if checking resistance would result in a no resistance (zero) reading. Hope that helps

Last edited: