Weird stuff in middle of pool

Mar 27, 2014
High Springs
Hello! So I have an Intex 22'x54" round pool with an Intex sand filter, and SWG. I am just starting to get this thing under control now, but I have always had this stuff collect in the middle. I will vacuum it out to waste and the very next day it starts again. The amount you see in the pics is after 3 days. I have replaced all my sand in the sand filter even though it is only a year old. I was thinking that maybe I need to add DE to the sand like I read somewhere on here. I thought it was algea, but even when I super shocked the pool and my FC was too high, it would still collect there. I included a pic of my enclosure because I was thinking that it might be debris, but not that much that fast! I am a newbie with the test kit, so maybe there is something I am missing....Here is the link to my pics....

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9FD930ADD7138438%21103

If you approach and try to touch it does it go poof into a cloud? Probably dead algae. Do an OCLT to make sure you don't have any surprises and make sure you're staying on the upper threshold of your FC/CYA range. Passing the upper target by 1 or 2 isn't terrible, just never let it get to the bottom or below. I'd run the filter 24/7 for a few days and possibly add some DE to your sand filter. I had some of that dead algae going on in my pool about a month ago and was able to clean it up with the de and keeping the FC up. You should be fine.

Does it look fluffy, like an aquatic dust bunny? Does it just disappear *poof* when you approach it with the brush or vacuum? If so, it's algae clumping.

If it stays put for you to vacuum it up, it's probably just dust. Look around at the patio furniture and the windowsills. If they're covered, so is your pool.

Just as a tip, before you order the kids out of the water, have them run around the edge to create a good whirlpool. Any dust and debris will end up settled in the center for easier vacuuming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nope. I just got back home and was gonna work on it this morning. So I can add just regular bleach to raise this right? Or is it better to use powder shock?
Powdered "shock" ? :thumbdown: You've been a member here for over a year and you still want to use powdered chlorine? What parameter do you think is too low - CYA or CH? Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

No, you want liquid bleach. Lots of it. I suggest you go for the SLAM. You might be done with it in a day if the algae dust disappears and you hold overnight, but you want to kill it all. Follow the instructions Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Time to learn then! :)

Might be time for a pool school refresher.

Are you familiar with the FC/CYA chart? Your mention of powdered shock sets off buzzers and alarms. Make sure you understand what you are putting in your pool.

Liquid chlorine is being recommended because powders are going to either add CYA or CH along with the FC. Neither of those are going to go down without replacing water so unless you want or need more CYA or CH you should stick with liquid. If you're already at a CYA of 40 you're in a good place to SLAM without needing a truck load of bleach.

After your SLAM you should probably raise your CYA up since I see in your signature that you have a SWG? I am not completely familiar since I don't have one but I know that the FC/CYA chart has different recommended maintenance levels for SWG pools vs. non SWG pools.

*edit*
Your signature says "regular filter/pump".

Is it a sand, de, or cartridge filter?

I'm guessing sand since they are a little more "common" for intex pools and cartridge filters don't get backwashed.

It sounds like you may be backwashing too frequently. Unless you have a big green mess or the very tiniest filter you shouldn't need to backwash that often. Does your filter have a pressure gauge? Does the gauge work? (When you turn off the pump/filter does the gauge go down to zero?)

TFP recommendation is to backwash when the pressure goes up 25% over normal clean pressure. (The pressure that shows just after a nice thorough backwash.)

Thanks for the info! Yes I do have a sand filter and yes the pressure gauge does work but I never waited till it got that high. I was assuming that the sand filter was blowing **** back into the pool and that is what was collecting in the middle. So that is why I was backwashing that much. I just got my TF100 kit a couple days ago so that is the one that I am starting to use now.

Ok, here is my update. Started the SLAM process Sunday afternoon. Got my FC up to 28, but I didn't have any stabilizer to add and my CYA was not at SLAM level. Late Monday I added the Stabilizer(I couldn't find liquid near me so I used powder) and brought my CYA up to 70. Been checking FC daily. It started to drop a few points yesterday so I added another gallon of bleach. I do brush out the pool twice a day. I am concerned though because there are still little piles of algea on the bottom. The water itself is crystal clear, but where the seams are, that is where the brown stuff collects. My pump has been running 24 hours a day. Someone asked about dust, and no I do not live in a dusty area. I am in North Florida and my entire pool area is screened in. The stuff does go "poof" when you get near it with the sweeper. And it is not gritty like dirt either. From what I have read, the SLAM process should only take a couple of days right? Or am I incorrect in that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.