Weird stuff in middle of pool

I'll let others correct me since I'm a noob, but I don't see why you raised your CYA. Isn't 30-40 recommended? If so 41 wasn't too shabby, but in bringing it up to 70 you're going to need a lot more chlorine to SLAM and maintain going forward. Did you check out the CYA to Chlorine to chart?

PS- I currently have the exact same thing at the bottom of my pool and have been wondering about it. The water is crystal clear- I've never ever had water look this good ever- and my CC is always 0 or .5. But there's that same looking stuff at the bottom and yes, it too goes poof. I was even wondering if it was the Zeo sand from the sand filter, as when we first hooked up my husband accidentally sent a bunch that way. But we've vacuumed and it comes back, so it must be something else. You all have been so spot on about the chemicals and water clarity so if you say it's algae, I believe it. Guess there's another slam in our future. Anyway, thanks for your post because I think it hit my own problem dead on.

Ok, I am confused. Why does the chart say that my CYA needs to be 70 for a SWG? I followed the instructions to a T. Is the chart incorrect? Here is the link to the chart I am referring to:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Also, here are my readings today:
FC-35
CC-.5
CYA-70
TA-180
PH-7.5

Ok, I am confused. Why does the chart say that my CYA needs to be 70 for a SWG? I followed the instructions to a T. Is the chart incorrect? Here is the link to the chart I am referring to:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Also, here are my readings today:
FC-35
CC-.5
CYA-70
TA-180
PH-7.5

You obviously did not follow the instructions for a SLAM
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

You will see that the recommended CYA level for a SLAM is 30-40ppm.

The chart you are referencing is for maintaining your SWCG pool.

Dom

No idea why my post just got stuck way up in the middle of the thread...

I'm trying desperately to get this to post right.

*edit*

After getting out of bed (ugh) and coming back to the computer, I finally got my post moved to the end of the thread instead of this random 852 thing. (It's 2 am for heaven's sake!) At least I finally got it moved. Hope it makes sense cause I'm falling asleep! :p

You obviously didn't read the instructions for slamming then because it instructs you to go to the chart that i linked and look up the shock level for my SWG pool. It has a column for shock. If the CYA level is too high at 70, then why does the chart say at a CYA level of 70 then my FC Shock level should be 28? I can read English and am looking for help and it really pisses me off when you say that I obviously didn't read it when it does clearly state that. So now that we have both attacked each other, can you please assist me?

In all my noobiness I just didn't realize/remember it was different for SWG pools since it didn't apply to me. I'm sure when the server is straightened out the experts will chime in more, but if it were me, I'd definitely trust the chart.

SLAMing an outdoor pool is most effective when CYA is around 30 to 40. Below 30 you lose too much chlorine to sunlight. As CYA goes up, SLAMing requires more and more chlorine, which starts to get impractical around 80 or 90. With CYA above 90 we recommend replacing water to get CYA down before you start the SLAM process.

^^^ This is copied from the link and explains it.

- - - Updated - - -

SLAMing an outdoor pool is most effective when CYA is around 30 to 40. Below 30 you lose too much chlorine to sunlight. As CYA goes up, SLAMing requires more and more chlorine, which starts to get impractical around 80 or 90. With CYA above 90 we recommend replacing water to get CYA down before you start the SLAM process.

^^^ This is copied from the link and explains it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You obviously didn't read the instructions for slamming then because it instructs you to go to the chart that i linked and look up the shock level for my SWG pool. It has a column for shock. If the CYA level is too high at 70, then why does the chart say at a CYA level of 70 then my FC Shock level should be 28? I can read English and am looking for help and it really pisses me off when you say that I obviously didn't read it when it does clearly state that. So now that we have both attacked each other, can you please assist me?
I wasn't "attacking" you, but you made it clear you "attack" others when you read something you do not like, then ask for help??

If you had read the instructions for the SLAM you would see that it says 30-40ppm CYA is recommended for a SLAM, and was recommended in the thread also.

I digress.....

Once you properly complete a SLAM you bring your pool to the recommended levels per the CYA/FC chart.

You will need to Maintain a minimum FC level of 28ppm until you meet the three criteria of a proper slam:
1) you pass an OCLT
2) your CC is <0,5ppm
3) your water is clear.

Do your best to NOT let your FC drop below 28-30ppm while SLAMing.

Dom

Last edited:

If you read SLAM and Maintain under DETAILS it says...

I don't think anyone on the forum is trying to be rude or mean. My daddy always said you will catch more flies with honey than vinegar . So no need to get upset. :paddle:

The link to the cya/fc chart in the beginning of the slam article is to find the level for your current cya and not meant as a suggestion to change it.

Further in the article it tells the ideal cya level for a slam and the numbers that are too high and make slamming very impractical. (80 and over)

First,

Did the cya you added already all dissolve? If not, take out whatever hasn't dissolved yet. (Assuming you used the sock method to add it)

If it's all dissolved already then figure your slam level based on the cya level you targeted with your addition. (Cya 70) You'll just need more chlorine to get there.

The other option is to replace water to get your level back down to 30-40. (And put it on the "oops, learned that the hard way" list)

I'm going to give you a couple of pros and cons to think about...

The slam level fc is higher for higher cya. Negative = more bleach needed to reach level. Positive = more cya will help protect from sun loss (although won't help against algae using up the chlorine as usual in a green pool)

Here's something to think about for testing higher fc levels: It means you'll use more drops from your fas/dpd R-0871 reagent. You'll run out sooner than if you were only at fc 12 - 14(24 - 28 drops to test) vs the minimum of 28 fc for a cya of 70 (requires 56 drops of R-0871 to test)

If you decide to go forward with the slam at your cya of 70, make sure you order yourself refills right away so you don't run out right in the middle of it!

If you drain you'll slam at the lower cya level then when you're done with your slam, part of getting your pool into maintenance mode will be to bring the cya back up.
If you don't drain and slam at cya 70 (slam fc 28) then when you're done with the slam you'll be all set on your cya for maintenance level on a swg.

In case you don't know yet, the cya you added won't register fully on a test until a week after its dissolved so we recommend that you save your cya testing reagent and for this week you'll assume you reached your target then in 1 week (after the cya was added) You'll test and find out exactly what level you have and adjust your slam fc level as necessary.

OK, I hope something I typed here has been helpful. Please excuse if it's not formatted correctly. I'm typing from my tablet and I've honestly never typed this much on this touch keyboard and what a pain it is!

One last important note: before making any changes or additions post here and run it by us and hopefully we can catch any mistakes before they affect anything negatively or we can just give a thumbs up and a green light.

Normally responses will come pretty quickly. It's only the past 2 days that something pretty bad happened to the server (or something! ) here and I don't think we're back at 100% yet so everything has sort of been going in slow motion. Hopefully it's going to be back to normal very soon.

I'm going to go ahead and post this and hope it makes some sense.

If you have any questions ask and we'll try to get some answers for you!

p.s. I just wanted to add that I'm going to mention the reference to the chlorine/cya chart in the SLAM article and see if there's any clarification that might be able to be added to the article. I've seen it happen a few other times but the people had posted before they added cya and someone explained it in the nick of time.

Summary: You can still slam at 70 cya. It just takes more chlorine and more testing reagents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.