Solar valve not opening

Aug 22, 2010
Hi All: A few days ago I noticed my 3 way valve was not open to allow for flow to my solar panels. It was plenty hot out and they should have been on. A few questions. What is the best way to test the solar temp sensor? Also is there anything else that could be preventing it from opening? I have the jandy aqualink and everyting is turn on the temp is set correctly. Thanks for your help.

Well, maybe that is the problem?

Your signature is so vague, you should add more details of your setup.

I do not know much about the Jandy system, can you see more info on the controller itself?

There should be a water temp, solar temp, a target temp and a differential temp.

If water is 80, solar is 90, target is 85 and differential is 4 then the valve will open

If water is 80, solar is 83, target is 85 and differential is 4 then the valve will not open

You should be able to scroll through the menu to find solar temp, pool temp, target temp. There is a way to test the resistance of the thermistor with an ohm meter, the owner's manual should give you the numbers to look for. I am not familiar with Jandy automation.

The Jandy control allows you to put in temp 1 and temp 2. Temp 1 is the target and who knows what temp 2 is. I won't tell you my opinion of the guy who designed the jandy controls.

I don't know how to test the temp sensor on the roof.

Is your switch on your valve set incorrectly. Set it the opposite of where it is now and see how that works for a day. It may have been flipped.

Someone here may be able to help -- But -- You may just want to go up and change the temp sensor on the roof and see if that works.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.