New Pool User (SWG) and Algae Control ?

Jun 19, 2015
Ridgewood, NJ
Good morning-

I am brand new to the pool world and the site, and have been doing a lot of reading and research, lots of great information here!

I have an intex metal pool setup (12' by 30", approx 1800 gallons). I have the SWG and upgraded to a 2500 GPH intex filter pump (both maybe overkill relative to pool size but I don't know how to do anything half speed:)

Filled pool yesterday, added 50 lbs of salt, and turned on the filter pump. This morning I turned the SWG on to the Boost cycle, and plan to test water tomorrow.

As suggested on the forums I purchased a Walmart 6 way tester (not strips), and I watched some videos on using it, looks fairly straightforward.

Stopped at the pool store yesterday to grab a few things, and asked what other chemicals I would need to keep the pool happy. Guy said Algae control (said initially add 8 ounces then 3 ounces per week thereafter). Also said Soda Ash and Alkalinity plus, and add those as necessary based on tests. I mentioned stabilizier, and he said no don't get it as you will be taking the pool down in 3 months anyway.

I don't want to mess with the chemistry of the pool if not necessary. Do I really need the Algae control as a preventative measure?

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to TFP! You do not need any algaecide. Your SWG will do just fine. You do need stabilizer (CYA) to prevent your FC from burning off before it sanitizes the water. You should be able to pick some up at your local Walmart or hardware store.

Wow! This is a perfect example of why we don't trust pool stores. He tried to sell you 3 things you don't need and talked you out of the one thing you really do need.

Use pool math to find out how much CYA (aka stabilizer) to add to your size pool to get your CYA level to 70 ppm. It can take a week to register, so don't bother testing for it yet.

Start running your SWG, maybe 4 hr/day until your FC reaches the target for CYA 70. You'll probably end up dialing the SWG down to maybe an hour or two per day once you reach your target, just to maintain it.

I think it's important to bump up your FC to your target, rather than wait on the SWG to bring it up. You DONT want a breeding ground for organic stuff to grow.

Assuming you're at zero FC and zero CYA (stabilizer), 3ppm chlorine would be your target. According to pool math, that's 52oz of regular store bought bleach (8.25%). From there, I'd let your SWG maintain the level.

Sunlight breaks down chlorine, so I think you'll be fighting with pump run times and SWG settings (especially without any CYA yet) to reach the target if you don't supplement with bleach.

Look into getting a good test kit too.
GO YANKEES!

Add the CYA now. Just don't expect it to show up on your testing for a week. Just proceed with the assumption that it is there and working.

Adam's advice to add bleach to get to your target FC immediately is good. The only thing I would add would be to go ahead and add enough to bring your FC up to the target for a CYA level of 70 after you've added the stabilizer to your pool. Sorry, I'm on my phone or I'd look that up for you.

Then you can just let your SWG run in normal mode, starting around 3-4 hours daily, and adjust up or down depending upon where your FC stays. I never use boost mode.

Also, be aware that a SWG tends to make your ph creep upwards, so you might want to grab some muriatic acid to bring it back down into the 7.2-7.6 range.

ok thanks i added the 52 oz of bleach, and i will add the CYA as soon as I can figure out how to use the pool calculator and how much to add. Do I need to zero out all the other valaues except FC and CYA to get the correct valaues?

When I entered 1800 gallons and a target of 3ppm, i ended up with 8 oz of bleach, but I am sure Adam is correct at 52 oz, I must not be using the calculator correctly.

And thanks for the MA tip, I will get some.

And while I'm at it, once I add the CYA on top of the bleach, when will it be safe for the kids to swim? They will be driving me nuts until I say ok!

Thanks everyone!

I got 8 oz. of bleach as well. I'm not sure what Adam did, unless you and I are both doing something wrong.

By my calculations, 54 oz of bleach will bring your FC to just over 20, which will be pretty harsh with no CYA in your pool yet. I wouldn't let the kids swim in that.

Get the CYA in and started dissolving (put it in a sock and hang it in front of the return and squeeze it occasionally) and I'd say you could let them in in about 24 hours.

Turn off the SWG for now. You won't need it until your FC drops back down below 10. Them start it up again and start experimenting with the runtime to keep it 5-10.

BTW, my stab at poolmath says add 17 oz by weight or 18 oz by volume to get your CYA to 70 ppm. Yes, you set your current level at 0 and your target at 70.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
New Pool Chemical Guidance ?

Hi Everyone-

New pool 2nd post.

Info: 1800 Gallon intex 12" by 30" deep

Setup and added water on Thursday, along with 50 lbs of salt (planning to use the SWG once I get the chemicals dialed in). Added 52 oz of household bleach yesterday, and approx 17 oz of stabilizer.

Recorded measurement using HTH 6 way test kit are:

CL-BT 5 and 10
PH-7.2
TA-looks like 200ppm (I kept adding drops waiting for the water to turn from green to red, not sure I did this correct or not)

Looking for next steps to get it dialed in.

Thanks!

Brian

I got 8 oz. of bleach as well. I'm not sure what Adam did, unless you and I are both doing something wrong.

OH NO!! I'm so sorry! I messed up...I still had my pool's amount of water in pool math...rather than yours. I am so embarrassed.

bb1100...that's on me. When I get back to NJ I owe you a beer.

...and the lesson here is to always double check the numbers...

I'm sorry. :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.