Puzzled with FLO error problem on sundance optima

Oli_G

Jun 19, 2015
Canada
Hello all,

Have a good one for the spa gurus !

I have the typical flashing "FLO" error on my Sundance optima 2001, but I think it have an untypical cause...

First, for the tub history : it was bought in 2002, but was only used in summers, winterized every year. 3 years ago my dad, who is the original owner, found the FLO error code on the display and was told the problem was the circulation pump. Having not used it for a while, he didnt have it repaired and let it sat unused since. Recently I bought the family house and the defective spa came with it. I'm now trying to get it back running the DIY way I'm used to
smiley.gif

So, refilled it this week and started it, FLO error is not gone by magic. When jet pumps where off, flow switch was completely open at 45 degree, and the circulation pump was not not running. Knowing it was supposed to run 24/7, I opened the pump, cleaned it from hard water depot, reconnected the ground wire which was unseated probably because of vibration and putted it back in the tub. That did the trick and now when I power up the tub with jet pumps off, the circulation pump is working correctly, as I hear it and I feel weak flow at the heat/ozone output port. The flow switch is now moving but not closed...

What is very strange is that if I power on the 2 speed jet pump on lower speed, whose output split to the jets and to the circulation pump input, the flow switch close completely and the heater starts normally! So flow switch seems functionnal. It seems the extra flow to the circulation pump input is enough to close the switch...

I tried with and without filter on.

So, I think the circulation pump runs normally (but weakly), I think the flow switch works as it should, and I think my filter is not clogged.

What's happening here? Is it possible than the circulation pump is partially air locked ? Is it possible to have a clogged heater wich is between the circ pump and the flow switch? Where could be the obstruction?

If you have any clue, I would appreciate !

Thanks

Hello and welcome to TFP! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

Did you fill the tub via the inlet in the filter area? This is how my Sundance is supposed to be filled (with the filter out) because it pushes the water into the pipes and pushes out any air. When Skippy forgets to fill it this way we got a FLO error and had to work to get the air out of the lines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.