Want new AGP in ground

amp

Apr 4, 2008
I am in the market for a new AGP and want to install it semi-in ground, backyard is on a hill. Wondering what is the best or very good pool to accomplish this? What things should I look out for? any and all experiences are welcome

amp said:
I am in the market for a new AGP and want to install it semi-in ground, backyard is on a hill. Wondering what is the best or very good pool to accomplish this? What things should I look out for? any and all experiences are welcome

Most important thing is to get a pool that is mostly or completely made of Resin I have a pool that has the resin plastic footing, posts, upper rail and top cap. I was sold on this because of the lack of rust you have. I also liked it because the stuff is strong and tuff. The last thing I would think you want is a pool wall that is going to partially in ground rusting out in a year. My pool is in my sig line...Look into anything made by Wil-Bar or any of the subsidiaries of that company, Sharkline I think is one of them. But most of all I would think that goint with all Resin framing with a steel wall would be the way I would go if I was going to go partial in ground.

You have come to the right place to get help. The experts will be along shortly to help but for now this is what I know about it when I was putting mine in.
You’re not going to have many choices to start with when you bury it part way. A lot of them will not warranty it if it is buried. The only ones that I know of that I felt were of good quality and could be buried are Doughboy and Cornelius. I went with the Cornelius. I could only go up to 18" deep without affecting the warranty but that depth worked perfect for me. I think Doughboy is the only one that can go deeper!
How deep do you need to go?

My backyard is a hill so about a third of the pool will be buried to within about 12inches of the top. From what I have read/heard Doughboy is very good and specifically make an AGP that can be completely buried if wanted. I haven't heard of anyone else making that claim.

I haven't read Jason's link yet on this topic, but plan to now (thank you, Jason!). We went with a 16 x 32 Doughboy and had the option of a complete bury. If you can tell from the little avatar, we buried it 3' and have a deep end as well. We also hard-plumbed it. The only drawback to burying it completely is the cost issue. We ended up getting a really fair-priced guy last May. It ran us about $3200 for the install/bury and so far, we're pleased with his work, except for a couple of minor issues. Just be sure to buy the pad to lay over the sand for longevity (i.e., keeping the rocks and grass from coming through the bottom) and make sure to have them put LOTS of extra piled up dirt around the perimeter of the pool if you don't plan on keeping your excavated dirt. It sinks a LOT. We had a big rain right after they finished ours and we had an 18"-wide moat around our pool for a few days. It took me all summer to keep adding a pile of dirt around the pool and watering it in, until it finally settled in with good strong support around the perimeter. Now we're ready to install the decking around the pool.

As for the excavated dirt, if you have the room in your yard and have kids, keep the dirt and have it piled high! You'll be providing them with the best playtime they'll ever have! :0

How is the doughboy 32x16 4'shallow-7' deep handling being in ground? Shopping for a semi in ground pool. Need opinions & lots to compare ;) right now I'm still very interested in the GT 1100 ez panel pool.

My pool is buried almost 2 ft on one side due to the yard slope. My builder, a reputable one in the area, installs and specializes in DB's.

DB recommends a slurry mix for a full bury (the details of the slurry can be found online), and it is not cheap. Since mine is really only buried on one half, my PB just recommended I place 1" house sheathing around the buried wall before backfilling, just to keep the soil of the wall (it depends on your area, my soil is a little acidic). He said, while voiding the warranty, he would have no problems doing this, as he has seen DB's buried and just backfilled last 20 years plus.

I figured if I get 15 to 20 years instead of 30, I'm fine--as my youngest will be 23 in 15 years.

And I also use a SWCG--so I am really pushing my luck.

BTW--I am very anal and take care of my toys--and I had no problem "voiding" my warranty.

We're in our fourth season with our buried Doughboy and it's as good as the day he installed it, with exception of the liner fading and some dimples in the floor, which we expected. Our pool has no shade, so catches the full sun all day. So we're not surprised at the fading either. Our neighbor installed one like ours, except that they did the slurry and had cement poured around it (with no deep end). They have a wonderful "in-ground" setup now. He's on this site too, but I don't know what he's going by. But you can pull the complete install of our pool by searching "Cherie" and the install for Titus by searching for "Titus." All three of us went with the Doughboy Autum Breeze and had them buried.

We would do it this way again in a heartbeat...not to mention BBB!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kaventuna said:
How is the doughboy 32x16 4'shallow-7' deep handling being in ground? Shopping for a semi in ground pool. Need opinions & lots to compare ;) right now I'm still very interested in the GT 1100 ez panel pool.
I ended up going with the Ez panel pool and have no issues. 3rd summer with it. I went with it because of the tight space requirements i had and the fact the EZ panel pool doesn't have braces that stick out beyond the pool edge. I got the 12'x24' oval and half of it is fully buried with a brick paver patio right up to the edge. This pool is built like a tank.

I don't have the deep end option. I believe that is only an option on certain sized pools.
I have had no issues with liner lifting up. Not even sure that is physically possible with the ex panel pool.

I ended up going with the Ez panel pool and have no issues. 3rd summer with it. I went with it because of the tight space requirements i had and the fact the EZ panel pool doesn't have braces that stick out beyond the pool edge. I got the 12'x24' oval and half of it is fully buried with a brick paver patio right up to the edge. This pool is built like a tank.

Just wondering.......how is the ez panel now? Anyone with one have any other experiences?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.