Changed sand in filter

Jun 19, 2015
knoxville tn
We changed the sand in our Hayward filter and used the recommended sand. We were careful when removing and adding sand and replacing the valve as we put it back together. I back washed for about 5 minutes and ran on rinse for a minute. Everything does great for 5 to 15 minutes then the water flow stops but pump continues to run. I can turn it off and it will start working again. We are just opening up our pool and since sand hasn't been replaced we decided to do it this year. Any ideas. Thanks

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Good to have you with us. So, you get flow from the pool returns for that time period, and then lose it? Is the pump filter basket housing staying full of water? What condition is the pool water in?

Welcome! :wave:

Look for low water or a sticking flapper in the skimmer. You probably lost a few inches doing all that backwashing. Sounds like you're sucking the skimmer dry and losing prime. And then the time it's off allows water to trickle back in so it will prime and start again.

No water loss. No flapper in skimmer and skimmer is full of water. Water is not clear because I just opened it up. Cloudy green.
Does the skimmer stay full when the pump decides to work? Is there a vortex?

Also, what does the pressure read when it's running and when the flow slows down?

Is it possible you vacuumed up some leaves or pine needles and they're trapped in the impeller? Pine needles in particular are good at sliding through the pump basket. The pump will sound right but there will be low flow and low pressure.

Skimmer stays full at all times. I just changed the gauge and after back washing and rinse it was at 15 psi and after 15 minutes it's at 25 psi. It seems to be working like it should longer but storms are coming so I am having to clean the skimmer out more often because of leaves. Not many leaves at all in skimmer though to raise it too 25 psi. Hopefully since I have been back washing and rinsing more than normal it has helped. Pump had not leaves in it.

Re: when to add stabilizer

Did you just fill the pool completely from empty or just open it after the winter?

Nothing should be added until after you test to find out what needs to be added.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Re: when to add stabilizer

Hello! We would need accurate test results to answer that question properly (current CYA or new 100% fill). Depending upon your pool type/situation, there are exceptions for those who just had a pool re-plastered in which case they need to follow the pool builder's recommendation.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Most pumps when running should have no air bubbles at all in the pump basket. I know some brands/models of VS pumps are known to run with a large bubble in the basket at lower speeds but those are the exception. That much air in your pump basket means that either you have a major suction side leak or air is being pulled in from a skimmer or drain by low water level in the skimmer, weir door blockage or vortex in the skimmer bucket. When you backwash, is the water extremely dirty coming out of the backwash hose?

Updating your signature with pool, equipment and testing kit details would help.

I just checked there are no air bubbles it just slows down way down and the water level goes below pump basket 1/4 inch. Water is cloudy and clears up but my water is not clear just yet. My skimmer level doesn't change just the pump basket level does. How do we check for leaks

So... no air bubbles until the flow slows to a crawl and stops, then a bubble/air pocket forms in the pump basket. After backwashing, you're able to pump until it slows to a crawl again.

I'd say you have a restriction in your filter or filter plumbing after replacing sand. Pump is pushing water just fine, then is getting back pressure from somewhere until it can barely pump any more. How is the flow out of the returns? Is that starting out with good flow and then diminishing as well? Are all the return eyeballs in place and not plugged?

the flow starts out good until I have to back wash then it slow before back washing and returns normal after. Eyeballs are in.
So pretty much sounds like the filter is working correctly by capturing stuff in the water which will lower the flow rate and increase the pressure on the gauge ... unless I am missing something :scratch:

Since you have a green pool, clogging the filter quickly is not very surprising.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.