Air bubbles out of return for 10 seconds when pump starts

Sep 23, 2014
stoughton, ma
Hi

New pool owner with a few questions. When I turn the pump on, after 15 to 20 seconds, I will get air bubbles shooting out of my return jet. This will only last for about 10 seconds and then it will go back to normal. I checked the pump lid, no air bubbles completley clear. Checked all suction side connections. ( Poured water over fittings to see if I can pinpoint air getting sucked in.) Ive tried opening air relief valve on filter and water shoots out like it should. Not sure what to check next.

I did notice that when I shut the pump off, I hear gurgling coming from the pipes connected to my heat siphon. Also when pump is turned on sounds like the heat siphon pipes are filling up. Not sure if this is normal.

Wondering what to check next or if this is normal since the system blows out the air bubbles for 10 seconds and then runs fine after that.

Great site by the way, lots of good info.

Good morning and welcome to TFP! While I am not personally familiar with your Heat Siphon hardware, I'm sure others in TFP are. At the very least the bubbles are short-lived and go away. Please continue to check this thread as I suspect others who are familiar with your equipment will reply. Welcome again, and have a nice day.

Not sure if this is your answer, but if any part of the Heat Siphon or pump are higher than the level of the pool water, when the pump turns off (and if there is no check valve) the water will slightly drain back down into the pool, and leave a small amount of air in the lines. My guess is that this is happening, and once the pump starts, it takes a few seconds to prime the lines, and all is good. I would not worry about this if my description sounds plausible to you.

Thanks for all the quick responses. No check valve, what you guys are describing is exactly what happenning, so as long as it isnt harming any of the equipment then I'll leave it as is. I have one more question, (have alot more but one at a time haha) I am trying to figure out the best setup for circulation. My pool has one skimmer, one suction port about a foot down from the top of pool in the deepend, and one return jet by the steps no main drain. How should I set my 3 way valve for best circulation? 50/50? Right now I have it about 60/40 skimmer/side suction with the return jet pointed more towards the floor.

Thanks again for the help

You can use some ping pong balls to see how the water is circulating and if you have any dead spots. Turn on the pump for about 30 minutes and scatter about 10 ping pong balls on the surface of the water. Let circulate for another 30 minutes and see if the balls collect in one spot or not. You can play with the valve settings until you have the circulation where you want it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.