Air in filter?!?

Jun 10, 2015
Ottawa, Canada
Hi,

I'm wondering if I have a leaking pipe.
When I start my pump after cleaning pump basket and/or filter cartridge, I will release the air out using the top filter valve until water comes out.
But, after a few days of running, if I turn that valve again I can have air go out again before I see water coming out.

Is this something to be expected or do I have a leaking pipe somewhere?
Is there a good way to test for leaking pipes?
I only have 2 pipes going to and from the skimmer (Aqua-Genie skimmer).
I don't see any wet spots on the concrete slab where my pump, filter and heater are on (this is when heater is off, but still have water going thru it).
Pump is running 24/7 (16 hours at low speed and 8 hours at high speed).

I don't seem to be losing too much pool water, but it's been raining frequently, so can't really tell.

thanks,

Sounds a lot like me. :) First, here's a good page to read if you haven't done so already: Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

Besides the air burping from your filter housing, do you ever lose prime to the pump or does your pump basket ever drop significantly in level?

Now, having provided you with the TFP guidance, I'll tell you what my personal experience is ...... I can burp my Hayward filter in the morning, and by lunch there may be a little air to burp-out again. I can put my pump on high to remove all the air out of the pump basket (clear lid), and it will remain that way for about 3-4 hours, then I have a small air gap under the lid. It doesn't go low in the basket, and I never lose prime, it just happens. My pool is only 2 years old and it has bugged the heck out of me. So between the page/link I provided with all those checkpoints, and the constant surging of water in the system from the suction side, as long as I don't lose prime in my pump I'm just going to plug along. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Remember - when we see air in the system, it's typically attributed to the "suction" side - pulling-in air. Any leaks PAST the filter would result in outward pressure (water leaks).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.