Helping a friend with SWG

DanaSC

May 16, 2012
Lexington, SC
I'm potentially going to be going to a friend's house to test her water and introduce her to TFP. I've got the macdaddy kit (can't remember the number of it, you know what I'm talking about though!) so I can pretty much show her how to test it all. I don't have a SWG, though, so I'm trying to easily find out the differences, if any, in how I test her water. I did find these recommendations for where she should be at in Pool School:

To summarize:
FC 4-6 ppm
PH 7.5-7.8
TA 60-80
CH
50-300 for vinyl
220-320 for fiberglass
250-350 for plaster

CYA 70-80
Salt 200-400 ppm ABOVE recommended optimum level
Borates 30-50 ppm (optional)

What I'm wondering: Do I test her chlorine levels the same way as I do mine, even though she's got SWG? She's got algae now and just spent loads at the pool store (yuck). Does she SLAM the same way for SWG as I do? She's probably got shock of some sort in her pool now, so figures will be off anyway, but I thought I could potentially at least check where her FC is and check out her CYA. I know the pH won't be a good read if she's at shock level. Any info you can give so I can help her out and get her on TFP would be awesome!

Hi from cola area.

Yes test the same way as always.

SLAM the same way you would for non SWG BUT......turn the SWG off and use chlorine. This will help save the salt cell life. But, if she can't test and redose very frequently the SWG COULD be left on to help maintain high FC.

I usually try to keep mine off.

Awesome! Thanks so much Aimee! I did read about adding chlorine manually to SLAM. I wanted to make sure I understand her system so I don't misinform her. Hoping I can bring her over here to at least read Pool School and join the forum.

Stay cool! Ugh...this weather! Thank God for pools! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.