Can I swim if there's metal/copper in my pool water?

May 3, 2015
Seattle, WA
Hey guys, pretty much done slamming my pool from a green algae mess. I am a new pool owner and was pool-stored for a few months. Last time I was in, they said I had copper in my pool (2.1 ppm at that time). I ignored this problem and finished the SLAM first. I have not done my own testing yet for metals but am looking into buying test strips. In the case that there IS copper in my pool water:

1. Is the pool safe to swim in without using any sequestering agent?
2. What kind of "stains" should I look out for that indicate that there is metal in my pool? Here's a picture of the shallow end that have this discoloration on the floor. Not sure if that is a factor of metal or high fc when shocking? Sorry if it's hard to see.

IMG_4572.jpg

If your copper is really that high, the stain you should "look out for" is the one on your pool surface that is very dark and fairly permanent.:shock::shock:

My point is that you test for metal and treat accordingly.....hopefully before you ever get copper staining.

Curious, how did you SLAM your pool without a test kit?

If your copper is really that high, the stain you should "look out for" is the one on your pool surface that is very dark and fairly permanent.:shock::shock:

My point is that you test for metal and treat accordingly.....hopefully before you ever get copper staining.

Curious, how did you SLAM your pool without a test kit?

I got a TF100 once I decided to stop going to the pool store.

Aside from green hair (my family has dark brown/black hair), is there any dangers/precautions to swimming? Or should I wait on the sequestering agent?

Other than the effects on hair, the copper is not a problem to swim in, assuming the pool is properly chlorinated. You do not need to wait until you get a sequestering agent. Fresh copper stains can be removed using citric acid. Or you can use the Jack's Magic #2 treatment method that attempts to remove the copper (once removed from the plaster) into the filter. Another product that works in a similar way is ProTeam Metal Magic. If after using these methods you still have some metal remaining in the water, then there are several options for removal (or you can just sequester), but start with removing the stain first using one of these methods (with citric acid you'd still need to use a metal sequestrant afterwards).

Other than the effects on hair, the copper is not a problem to swim in, assuming the pool is properly chlorinated. You do not need to wait until you get a sequestering agent. Fresh copper stains can be removed using citric acid. Or you can use the Jack's Magic #2 treatment method that attempts to remove the copper (once removed from the plaster) into the filter. Another product that works in a similar way is ProTeam Metal Magic. If after using these methods you still have some metal remaining in the water, then there are several options for removal (or you can just sequester), but start with removing the stain first using one of these methods (with citric acid you'd still need to use a metal sequestrant afterwards).

Thank you!

Did you pass all three criteria for the SLAM? The water seems pretty cloudy.

Yep, just not a good picture.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.