No CYA - Low FC and a CLOUDY POOL!

May 25, 2015
Northern Indiana
This is our 2nd summer -we are new pool owners, and last year things went smoothly.

This year . . . .
Today's testing shows:
FC 1.5 ppm
CCl 0.5 ppm
Total Alkalinity - 220 ppm total alk. as Cal Carb.
Ca Hardness - 230 ppm as Cal Carb.
pH 7.4.
Cy Acid - too low to be measured

I am confused about the shocking. . .
1. Do I really want to add enough Chlorine to get to FC=24 ppm. . .
2. What is my best source for Chlorine - we bought some powder kind - it is Calcium Hypochlorite (and I see on this site that this could inc. my Calcium Hardness. . . )

any HELP very! appreciated

Also

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1. No, because you did not report a CYA value which determines the required FC shock level from the FC/CYA Chart.
2. Liquid chlorine / bleach because it does not have the side-effects of the solid chlorine. The cal-hypo will add CH (which you do not really need any more) and can cause cloudy water.

Where did you get those test results? I am suspicious that they are not from one of the Recommended Test Kits which is required to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these so we are sure we are speaking the same language:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Welcome Barbie J! You will learn a ton of stuff here in a very short amount of time. Difference between what you learn here and what you learned in other places is that the knowledge you gain here will make your summers more enjoyable. :)

To echo Jason's comment above, we highly encourage you to get the proper test set (i.e. TF-100) link below. You will be amazed at how well it helps you manage your water.

Stick around and ask all the questions you need. Lots of people here to assist. Nice to have you with us.

You need to add FC at least daily to keep it above the minimum needed.

When did you add CYA and how much? Did you have a CYA target in mind? IT can take up to a week to show up on tests.

Thanks for letting me know it can take that long. . . I think the pool math thing said to add 172 oz CYA - so far we have added a 64 oz bottle of 98% cya - two times (total 128 oz) - -I will wait for a while before adding more so I can give it time to show up.
Our FC was up some yesterday - so we added Bleach. . . hope we are going in the right direction. . .
Thanks to all for the help!

Welcome to TFP!

Did you add liquid or granular stabilizer? How did you add it?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, 128oz of stabilizer starting at 0 will give you 56ppm of CYA.

Use the Chlorine CYA Chart to determine what your chlorine level should be and always keep it at or slightly above target. Never let it drop below the minimum level or algae will start growing. Your cloudy water is the beginning sign of an algae bloom. It is very important to get your chlorine level up to target immediately before your pool turns green.

Use Pool School - PoolMath to determine how much chlorine/bleach to add. At the bottom of poolmath is a tool where you can see the effects of adding chemicals, which is how I determined how many ppm 128oz of CYA added to your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.