Outdoor pool, target CYA and why?

May 25, 2007
Long time member but don't post much anymore. Very familiar with BBB. Outdoor IG VL pool. What is the current thinking on preferred CYA level and why?

For the past several years I've used 40 ppm as my target. Due to being gone early on vacation pool just opened. Water crystal clear, ph 7.5 Alk 100 ppm but no CYA. Will probably use trichlor pucks until I hit target then revert back to bleach.

Thanks.

As always, CYA is recommended in the 30-50ppm range. Sun exposure influences how high you want it.

CYA should not disappear like that, could be a conversion to ammonia. You should add bleach to target 10ppm and test the FC and CC levels in 30 minutes and report back.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Pool is located in west central IL. I estimate 75% sun light exposure.

I agree CYA shouldn't disappear but it always has since I joined here and started checking. No cc, I add 2 ppm bleach after sundown and its still there in the morning.

Sounds like nothing's really changed so I'll continue to target 40 ppm CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.