Pool Heater - Fix or Not to Fix

Jul 7, 2008
Bremen, GA
Hi....I purchased a pool heater off Craigslist from an owner who said it worked two years ago when he last used it. A trustworthy guy, I purchased it for $450 (Laars Lite 2 NG LLD 350,000 BTU). The guy is refunding me $200 to help offset some of the costs (Buyer beware - as is). A HVAC tech looked at it and said the ignition and tempature control modules need to be replaced. I checked online and appears to be about $550 in parts. The heater is estimated to be about 7-8 years old.

Would any of you sink the money into fixing a heater like this? Everything else checked out to be in good working order. If so, any suggested retailers for cheap parts?

Any thoughts or comments are welcomed.

Unfortunately there's no way of knowing how good the heat exchanger is. If you sprung for the new temp control and IID and then developed a leak, you'd be looking at another $500-1000 problem. I'd seriously consider going ahead and spending that money now to get a new, more efficient heater (I like the Pentair Mastertemp).

spishex said:
Unfortunately there's no way of knowing how good the heat exchanger is. If you sprung for the new temp control and IID and then developed a leak, you'd be looking at another $500-1000 problem. I'd seriously consider going ahead and spending that money now to get a new, more efficient heater (I like the Pentair Mastertemp).

I'll second that...heat exchangers are very costly. The security of a new, warrantied LJ, or MasterTemp, or Raypak, or whatever, would be well worth it. :wink:

do a raypak digital 406. I my area, Atlanta, you can get them for about $2900 installed. I haven't installed a master temp yet. But I have a client who has one. Seems to be pretty good. I'd stay away from Jandy and Hayward personally!

Luke Pools

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.