Bought a new house w/an Inground Pool

Hey there everyone!

My wife and I just bought a new house in the New Orleans area that has an in-ground pool ( roughly 16000 gallons). I've been checking the chemicals and found that the Chlorine readings have been zero, as in "0". I added 2 "pucks" of chlorine to the pool in the skimmers, but the readings have stayed at a solid "0". The pool is crystal clear and there isn't any problems, yet, with it. I was reading on here about using bleach to bring the Chlorine up. This is something that I watched my mother do in the pool we had while I was growing up, and she said for me to try it now. I just wanted to understand better as to why the chlorine level did not go up over a weeks time after I put those "pucks" in the pool? I have been using the testing strips that the previous owner had left behind for us to do the testing. The other chemicals are within normal readings, just the chlorine is not there. I am not a fan of these dip strips TBH, I am going to go out and buy the chemical tester for future testing. So any advice would be greatly appreciated!

:cool:

Thanks!

Hello welcome! :wave: Let TFP help you have a great pool this year. Here's how:
Golden rule - Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Do not add anything to your pool other than what is advocated by the TFP site or its experts. You’ll have a happier pool, spend less time maintaining your pool, and probably save some $$ in the process. The following are short articles from this site that you will see linked in my signature below: Pool School, Recommended Levels (for YOUR pool), PoolMath Calculator, SLAM, and the Chlorine/CYA Chart.

Priority #1 - The proper test kit is everything. Why? Because we've all learned (from personal experience) you cannot reply on pool store tests, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They don't read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. (see TF-100 link below)

The tablets/pucks may not be able to maintain the chlorine level you need, and they add stabilizer which over time is bad for your pool. Order the TF-100 and read the links below and you'll be miles ahead of many other pool owner. Welcome to TFP!

PS - We have no advise for keeping gators out of the pool :)

Welcome to TFP!

I would strongly suggest getting one of the Recommended Test Kits. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping.

While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math