How do I remedy hard water I have to use for our pool

Go Riders!

Just for your info, I made a 20 ppm adjustment to my CYA based on a <20 ppm first test. 5 1/2 days later I was testing 30 ppm and that was close to what I thought it should be. So started dosing Chlorine for that. Today (day 7), I test CYA and it's just over 40 ppm. So next time I will believe the "it may take a week to show up on the test" thing.

If all goes well, I will be having a Pilsner on the 15th of July!!

I'm digging the fact that you had the patience to fill about 5400 gallons from your home water softener. Mine takes 180 minutes to regenerate and that's good for only about 1000 gallons. I'm going through this same issue with my hard water and if I should just tap into the softener I have or buy one just for the pool.

Good post

Update: After adding about 2 gal of Muriatic acid spread over a week the pool alkalinity is 140 using strips (for some reason the test kits recommended are crazy expensive here so I am sticking with the HTH strips). The PH is now around 7.2 but we have been using the pool a lot so this will continue to change. The first few days, the cartridge filter was pretty brown and nasty but this is decreasing day by day. I was aerating the water with a bubble spa but when it burned out I started using a sump pump with the outlet squirting onto the surface. I am hoping this will still be enough to continue moving my Alkalinity down.

Update: My Alkalinity tested today at 120 and PH at 7.2. SWG is working well and my water is clear and filter cartridge is now picking up a minimum of reddish colour compared to red sludge at first. We have been using the pool and enjoying it a lot. My main lesson learned this year is when filling from a well through a domestic softener is to go slow and let the softener and iron filter do their thing properly. Richard320, thanks for the advice and encouragement. It helped a lot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.