Maytronics Dolphin Pool Cleaner and Robot Information

TW Pool

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
The Woodlands, Texas
Hi all. I've been trying to find the right cleaner for my new pool and have had a hard time understanding what was what. I've decided to share some of what I have found on here for others to reference.

First off, Maytronics is one of the biggest robot manufacturers. As I understand it, they make many of the robots on the market - including private labeling for brands like Pentair. There are a few other manufacturers, but the emphasis here is on Dolphin products (and you can see some crossover with brands like Pentair).

I'll start by saying that I hate their branding strategy! Perhaps it is genius... but it sucks for the consumer. Maytronics tens to have different models built for different channels. For example, some products are designed to be sold only through brick and morter stores while others are online only. Many are designed for specific retailers too, so don't believe the advertising from some companies that claim a particular model is the best Dolphin on the market.

I've called Maytronics on a few occasions to figure out which features I wanted and then found a place to buy my model. I plan on buying my model today and I'm 90% sure I am going to buy the Dolphin Supreme M500 (was named the M5 until this year). I'm about 10% on saving $212 and buying the M400/M4 - which has an inferior remote. The better remote give better controlling of the robot if I want to clean a particular spot AND it offers a bunch of specific program alterations for the robot that I find intriguing.

Maytronics has a website to view their non-private labeled brands. Please use this to learn about the specific products and features. Also, call them to learn even more after you have an idea of what you want.

Residential - Maytronics US, Inc.

A few specific points I found interesting:
- When you see the brush on the front split, it has independent drives on it. This is better/costs more. You can easily see this by looking at a picture of the robot.
- The top loading cartridge like on the M400/M500 allows for an extra middle brush - which helps to clean. Other models, like the DX line has a filter bag. The bag can hold more, but is a little harder to clean and it eliminates the middle brush cleaner. I've also heard the Z5 does NOT have the middle brush.
- The M400/500 is exclusive to a massive pool supply master distributor. They sell to lots of smaller shops. This might add to the cost of this model.

Beyond what I have posted, I built a nice spreadsheet with about 10 models and their features to compare the differences. I pasted a picture below to save you some time and effort.

I hope this helps!

Robot Info 2.jpg
DX3DX4DX6 Supreme M200Supreme M400Supreme M500Dolphin M5 Liberty (Cordless) Dolphin Oasis Z5Dolphin DX5 PlusDolphin Deluxe 5Dolphin Apollo Plus
Part Number99996333-DX399996343-DX499996369-DX6Part Number99996403-US99991043-US99991089-US99994101-USPart Number99991079-OAS9999381-DX59999638399996053-US
DIYYesYesYesDIYYesYesYesYesDIYYesNoYesYes
Filter TypeFilter Bag, Cartridge Kit AvailableFilter Bag, Cartridge Kit AvailableFilter Bag, Cartridge Kit AvailableFilter TypeCartridgeCartridgeCartridgeCartridgeFilter TypeCartridgeFilter BagFilter Bag, Cartridge Kit AvailableFilter Bag, Cartridge Kit Available
Scrubs Tile LineNoYesYesScrubs Tile LineNoYesYesYesScrubs Tile LineYesYesYesYes
ClimbsYesYesYesClimbsYesYesYesYesClimbsYesYesYesYes
RemoteNoneBasicProRemoteNoneBasic (opt.)ProProRemoteBasicProProBasic
Weekly TimerYesYesYesWeekly TimerYesYesYesNoWeekly TimerNoNoYesYes
Full Filter IndicatorNoYesYesFull Filter IndicatorNoYesYesYesFull Filter IndicatorNoNoYesYes
Delayed StartNoNoNoDelayed StartNoYesYesNoDelayed StartNoYesNoNo
CaddyNoNoYesCaddyNoYesYesYesCaddyYesYesYesYes
Filter AccessBottomBottomBottomFilter AccessTopTopTopTopFilter AccessTopBottomBottomBottom
Cable Length60 ft60 ft60 ftCable Length60 ft60 ft60 ft3 ft floating cable for batteryCable Length60 ft 60 ft60 ft
Cycle Time3 hours1 hour, 2.5 hours2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hoursCycle Time3 hours1 hour, 2.5 hours2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours1.5 hoursCycle Time1.5 hours, 2.5 hours2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours1 hour, 2.5 hours
Warranty18 Month Bumper-to-Bumper24 Month Bumper-to-Bumper36 Month Bumper-to-BumperWarranty24 Month Bumper-to-Bumper36 Month Bumper-to-Bumper36 Month Bumper-to-Bumper36 Month Bumper-to-BumperWarranty36 Month Bumper-to-Bumper36 Month Bumper-to-Bumper36 Month Bumper-to-Bumper36 Month Bumper-to-Bumper
Suction Rate4,233 gal/hr4,233 gal/hr4,233 gal/hrSuction Rate4,233 gal/hr4,233 gal/hr4,233 gal/hr4,233 gal/hrSuction Rate4,233 gal/hr4,233 gal/hr4,233 gal/hr4,233 gal/hr

Attachments

• Robot Info.jpg
    Robot Info.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 208
I saw that Patrick. Some of your past posts helped guide me this direction. I'm not sure how clean the picture I just posted shows, but the M5 has the most yellow down the middle. Do you find yourself using the remote features often? Or... often enough to pay an extra $200?

I'm intrigued by the S300i model, introduced this year...but it's not on your list of "finalists" I guess. The S300i is interesting to me as it can be controlled via Bluetooth...I've always got my phone handy, but would have to remember to grab the Dolphin remote.

As has been mentioned, thanks for putting the table together!

Mhosborn, you are correct. When I originally created the list (about a month ago), the S-line was brand new and I thought it was going to be too expensive. When I posted this (and made my purchase), I didn't even go back and consider it.

That being said... I haven't opened my M500 yet, so I just called Maytronics to get the scoop on the new line.

The S300i looks and sounds impressive. I have included 2 videos on it below. They are similar and I think the first is more informative.The upside to the S300i is that is is smaller and lighter weight. It also has a cooler design, has more intelligent mechanics, and a single filter area to catch both large and small particles. However, I am sticking with my M500. I decided against the S300i because it has a weaker warranty (2 yr vs 3 yr). The reason for this is the Maytronics gives it a lower expected lifetime. I believe the M500 is about 3000 hours whereas the S300i is in the 2 range. The M500 also has over 10% better suction rate and is considered more durable. All of this, plus the M4/500 have both been staples in the market for some time. The S300i may get there, but I wasn't prepared to become an early adopter.

Dolphin S-Series features - YouTube
Dolphin S-series - quick user guide - YouTube

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.