Thanks TFP! Never been Pool Stored, Never will...

jaduck

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2013
Arab, Alabama
In the age of instant information it absolutely floors me that individuals spend ungodly sums of $$ in order to maintain a pool! Before we purchased our new home/old pool the first thing I did was used Google and found this site. The science was correct (I am a scientist, for the lack of a better term) and I was hooked. I just thought I would give thanks to all the folks that help with this site. Your service is commendable! I thought I would share a few pictures with you!

Took off the Loop-Loc and found the following:

Testing

pH = 6.2 (Professional Digital Tester)
FC = 0
CC = 0
CYA = 0
CA = 60
TA = 100

Day 4

Day 9

Day 14

Day 17

Today

FC = 10
CC = 0
pH = 7.6
TA = 100
CYA = 30
CA = 225

Thanks a bunch!

Wow! Nice work Indeed! Welcome aboard, that's how it's done man.

Hard to believe 14 gallons but hey, whatever works. Excellent...:goodjob:

The Cal Hypo supplied another 14 gallons or so of bleach.

- - - Updated - - -

with all those trees, must be a spring and fall nightmare great looking pool :)

You can't even begin to believe what a PITA it becomes. I want to cut down 10 or 12, but the wife likes the privacy from the lake onlookers. I say let them look!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You really should take a sample in to the store, just to amuse your scientist brain.

Then you can play wheel of fortune.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Love it! That is such a pretty area! Do you have a leaf gulper? It is a must for a pool that has large number of leaves getting into it.

Amazon.com : Universal Leaf Gulper Pool Vacuum : Swimming Pool Pressure Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden

How long have you been in the house. Is this your first time opening the pool?

You did an awesome job!

Kim

Kim -

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, we have a leaf bagger/gulper! I would have to bring in few truck loads of fill dirt if not for that thing. We open late and close early because of the leaves.

We have been in the house two years and had to do some major plumbing repair the first year to get the pool open. The first year we drained and refilled the pool so we did not have to do a SLAM. I closed the pool early because of the fall leaves. I pulled off the loop-loc to this yuck. So, yes it really is the first time I have opened the pool.

You really should take a sample in to the store, just to amuse your scientist brain.

Then you can play wheel of fortune.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have been in two pool stores in two years, and it only took 5 minutes to realize the hogwash they are telling these poor people. Here, put in this phosphate remover and your green pool will be perfect! How on earth can phosphates be utilized when the chlorine in a properly maintained pool has eliminated the algae. If I were swimming in reef fish tank I can understand a need to rid the water of po4!

As for me taking a sample into the store...I just don't think my soul could stand the sight of a bronzed bod guy named Kato testing my water and offering me his expert opinion! On the other hand it just might make my day. Laughter is the best medicine, correct?

Nice job!
I have a few acres of trees, and worse, my pool's at the bottom of a terrace, so I get a zillion leaves too. I still open early and close late though because I've discovered I like leaf raking better than slamming ;)

One thing that helps with leaf management for us is "the pool skim" attached to the south return, kitty corner to the skimmer. Far fewer leaves sink because the Venturi action draws them into the pool skim, and the skimmer basket doesn't fill up as fast. If you haven't tried one, here's a link to take a look: Amazon.com : PoolSkim Pool Skimmer and Pool Cleaner : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

Swamp woman -

I like the idea very much! The only concern I have is the fact it sticks off the end of the return...do you have any issues with kids hitting the skimmer and breaking the connector close to that union? Otherwise I do believe I'll get one!

My kid is 24, so while he generally doesn't follow my instruction on much of anything, he also generally knows to avoid breaking the pool or he'll be banned ;)

But seriously, my robot hits the thing every day and has not harmed it yet...just need to re-slant it it afterwards or sometimes the little "hat" insert needs to be slid back in after waves generated from vigorous aqua-jogging ;) It's pretty tough, so I think you'll be fine.

Ive also now added a SKIM DR. to the skimmer as well, which increases venturi effect and also seems to pull more in (physics is my friend ;): here's a link to that too, since you sound game for the "clear-the-surface" obsession that I possess ;) Amazon.com : SkimDoctor 1.0 : Patio, Lawn Garden

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.