New Pool Owner Introduction & trouble with hose connections

Hi everyone. I'm new to pool ownership and have been lurking here reading up about the TFP methods. I grew up with an in-ground pool but never REALLY learned the ins and outs of the water chemistry.

I bought this house about a year ago with a 13'x4', 5,300 gallon aluminum sided above ground pool with vinyl lining. When I moved in last June the pool was still closed and I decided not to open it that summer since I still had another house to sell, etc. Every time I looked under the cover the water was crystal clear, up until late spring this when my cover got a tear and stuff started leaking in.

My big issue has been with the pump and filtration... Previous owner left a larger sand filter and pump in many pieces plus an Intex cartridge filter/pump, a bunch of hoses & connectors, and I couldn't make heads or tails of how any of it fit together.

Earlier this week I hooked up the Intex pump just to get the water circulating and discovered the skimmer box had big cracks in it and was leaking, plus learned quickly the Intex pump was a pain and also clogged & leaked. So, new Hayward skimmer assembly installed and also ordered a Sandmaster 71125 sand filter and pump to just start from scratch. It arrived yesterday (much smaller than I expected). Spent hours putting it all together last night, and now the hoses (intex type) that came with the filter don't connect to the skimmer and return . Looks like male-to-male, plus the intex type hoses are pretty flexible. Going to try to get them to work with rubber connector and hose clamp this evening. Is there a better way to get these ends connected? I could order some adapters and use 1.5" hose with threaded ends, but that will just cost more time and money while the water gets greener and greener.

So far it's been a huge pain, and the previous homeowners didn't do me any favors to get started on square footing, but getting there. Looking forward to getting it all up and running, especially since it's already mid-June. Sorry my first post is so windy, just needed to vent a little steam.

Looking forward to learning more about the pool ownership journey.

Regards,
-HH

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.