can't get dirt out the pool

Mar 26, 2015
houma, LA
Not sure if this is the right place to post this. My numbers are great when I test. FC 4, CC 0, PH 7.4-7.6( been getting a lot of rain) TA 70, CYA 50. The water is clear and clean, the problem is dirt on the bottom of the pool. I will be posting a pic as soon as I can figure it out. I vacuumed 2 days ago and its been 3-4 days since anyone has been in it, yet the bottom is filthy. when I vacuum, I put a stocking over the skimmer basket to catch the small stuff. I did notice yesterday when the pump kicked on, it looked like it shot a cloud of dirt through the return. Anyone have some advice? I will get a pic up as soon as I can

Silly question maybe, but have you cleaned the filter lately?

I backwashed about a week ago

- - - Updated - - -

Is that a 14" Sand filter listed in your signature? Have you tried deep cleaning it? If Sand clumps up, it forms clods that have gaps between them and fine sediment can pass right through.

I super cleaned it and put fresh sand when I installed everything about a month ago. Could it be that dirty already?

I backwashed about a week ago

- - - Updated - - -

I super cleaned it and put fresh sand when I installed everything about a month ago. Could it be that dirty already?
Probably not.

And now I can see the picture and it looks like algae clumping. Does the dust resemble aquatic dustbunnies? Does it go poof and disappear when you approach it with the brush or vacuum? If so, it's algae. Kill it.

Probably not.

And now I can see the picture and it looks like algae clumping. Does the dust resemble aquatic dustbunnies? Does it go poof and disappear when you approach it with the brush or vacuum? If so, it's algae. Kill it.
that's exactly what it does when I get close to it. So would SLAMing be the way to go? FC has never been below2. CC has never been above 0. can alge still grow?

Yes, algae can still grow (and has), and it sounds like you do need to SLAM. Use the CHlorine/CYA Chart (link below) and match-up your current CYA to your SLAM FC level. Keep it there until:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
** You MUST meet ALL 3 items above to properly do a SLAM. Simply “spiking" the FC higher than normal isn't SLAMming, therefore there’s a good chance your algae will return.

That chart is extremely important for SLAM and every day pool care. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure to sweep/brush anything you see like that, and check any hidden spots that algae my hide (i.e. lights, ladders, etc)

that's exactly what it does when I get close to it. So would SLAMing be the way to go? FC has never been below2. CC has never been above 0. can alge still grow?
Yes. Because there are dead spots in the pool with poor circulation. It's not 2 FC everywhere, and right up next to some algae, there's probably none and if more chlorinated water doesn't get moved in to replace it, you have an algae bloom.

You're lucky - you're almost there. A day or two at shock level and some serious brushing and it'll disappear and the water will sparkle. Just follow the instructions for the SLAM. Pay attention to Texas Splash's advice, too.

Thanks everyone for the help. I got home from work and tested the pool

FC 3
CC 0
CYA 50
PH 7.4
TA 70
I added 387 oz of bleach, according to the pool calculator. Actually a little more just to empty the jug. I added the bleach about 5:30 this evening. I brushed it for about an hour. I'll continue testing, brushing, and bleaching until the OCLT is good. Thanks again for all the help. I will keep updating and let y'all know how it's going

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I get that stuff too. In my case, it's just silt. I added some DE to my sand filter, and it helps a little. But no matter what I do, there's a certain amount of it every day to be vacuumed up. That's the result of living in a dry, windy climate -- lots of dust settles in the pool. Other than covering the pool when it's not in use, I don't know what you can do about it.

Just tested again, I'm at 22 FC. I brushed the pool about 4 times today and added a total of 2 gals bleach. I also back washed the filter. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I added 1 gal of bleach direct to the skimmer. Will test again in the morning and keep this going

6/20 a.m. Update

Over the last 7 hours FC has stayed at 22, CC has stayed 0. When I get back from fishing I plan on vacuuming and back washing the filter

- - - Updated - - -

I get that stuff too. In my case, it's just silt. I added some DE to my sand filter, and it helps a little. But no matter what I do, there's a certain amount of it every day to be vacuumed up. That's the result of living in a dry, windy climate -- lots of dust settles in the pool. Other than covering the pool when it's not in use, I don't know what you can do about it.

Once I get through this SLAM I'm thinking about adding DE to the filter. Definitely not a dry climate here. Humidity is always crazy and we've been getting rain almost every other day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.