What system to use?

Oct 2, 2014
San Marcos, Ca
I have a 12,000 gal plaster outdoor pool (no spa) . I have a Pentair variable speed pump and a SolarTouch controlling the solar. The system works great as is, but we want to add a SWG.

Looking at the Pentair SWG it doesn't seem like I can use this without one of their controllers. Is this true?

I don't need to be able to control the pool from anywhere other than by the pool. I live in San Diego and the solar is keeping my pool at 79* with just solar and the pump running at higher speed pushing water to the panels for about 5 hours. When the water hits 79* the pump runs at slow speed. I share this just to show that I don't need a bunch of fancy electronics :)

How would you add solar to this system?

Any SWG system can be installed into your pool system without the need of automation. You need to buy a complete SWG system which includes its controls and transformer, not just the cell, and wire it to the pump circuit.

The only con with the Pentair SWG is that the controls only allow the output to be adjusted in 20% increments without automation but you can integrate it in if you want to.

Adding a SWG will not impact the solar system.

Hayward systems are also recommended by users here, I believe they have 10% increments. When choosing what size cell to get, it's recommended here that you double your pool volume and purchase a SWG rated for that volume. Enables running at a lower output, longer cell life.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.