SLAM Complete - Now What

Jun 2, 2015
Chandler/AZ
I completed a SLAM on my freshly drained and refilled pool on Tuesday by passing the OCLT and then did a Mustard Algae Shock which finished Wednesday morning. The pool looks clear and now I need to get into maintenance mode. I took a complete set of tests this morning:

10:00 AM

FC - 8.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.8
TA - 160
CH - 225
CYA - 20

I added 4 pounds of CYA 5 days ago anticipating a level of 36 while completing my SLAM. The water tested around 30 since the day I added the CYA. I was anticipating seeing higher numbers as time went on, but now the reading is much lower than before. What should I do in this situation? I am sure the intense sun here in Phoenix will just burn right through my chlorine at that level, but also don't want to add too much.

What else should I be addressing? TA through lowering PH and aerating?

I completed a SLAM on my freshly drained and refilled pool on Tuesday by passing the OCLT and then did a Mustard Algae Shock which finished Wednesday morning. The pool looks clear and now I need to get into maintenance mode. I took a complete set of tests this morning:

10:00 AM

FC - 8.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.8
TA - 160
CH - 225
CYA - 20

I added 4 pounds of CYA 5 days ago anticipating a level of 36 while completing my SLAM. The water tested around 30 since the day I added the CYA. I was anticipating seeing higher numbers as time went on, but now the reading is much lower than before. What should I do in this situation? I am sure the intense sun here in Phoenix will just burn right through my chlorine at that level, but also don't want to add too much.

What else should I be addressing? TA through lowering PH and aerating?

not surprised on CYA readings. the test really doesn't work if your CYA is below 30, and if you guessed 20, it very well could have been 10, you never know. if you feel good about it being 30, then add more stabilizer and test again in a week. its a good thing to be a little bit under as opposed to over. very easy to add, hard to remove as you found out :) besides you added it 5 days ago, and it can take a week to show up. test again in a few days and adjust as needed

I wouldn't be concerned with a CYA of 40 where you are located.

don't worry about your TA, if you keep lowering the pH with MA, your TA will start to come down. it will keep coming down until it gets to a point where your pH stabilizes. if that's at 150 or 70, no worries. just keep testing pH and lower as needed.

I added 82 ounces per pool math to lower the PH to 7.0 and am aerating with my waterfall. I will wait until the weekend to test for CYA before adding any more. I don't want to end up with too much in the pool again. In this climate, should I be shooting for the higher side of the recommended level of CYA (50)?

Also when adding chlorine, if I added CYA of 4 pounds which should have raised the level to 36, should I be targeting a FC of 5? And when targeting, I should add chlorine each day to get to a FC level of 5 and no more, or should I add chlorine so that my level is a little above 5 and doesn't fall below that level?

Thanks for all the help getting my pool back in good shape, it has been nice to use the last few days when the temp has spiked to 113+. I want to get a good understanding of my pool's daily chlorine demand then move onto chlorine automation.

With 36 CYA, target 5 or 6, whatever it takes so that it stays above 3 until you add again. In extreme sun, heat, and use, you might have to target 7. And 50 is a good goal for CYA. Remember FC levels rise with CYA, even if usage goes down. As the season goes on, you may decide to raise CYA a little higher. I'd wait until you get things stable for a few weeks before that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.