CYA sprinkled directly into pool

Ohays

Jun 17, 2015
GA
This is my first pool experience...
We have put up an above ground 18' x 48" Intex metal frame pool. Last night we started with chemicals. The first thing we added was CYA and plan to chlorinate with bleach tonight. We do not have a skimmer, just the regular pump system that came with the pool. Because we don't have a skimmer, I thought we would just sprinkle the CYA around in the pool but now I'm reading I may have ruined the liner??? It wasnt dumped in one spot but rather sprinkled around the whole pool. What is the likelihood that I have royally screwed up??

It may cause some minor bleaching of the liner. If you can brush/stir it up often, that may reduce the chances of discoloration. You could also vacuum the CYA directly if you have a vacuum hose/head on your pool. This is not normally how its done, but at least then the CYA granules would be in the filter, dissolving rather than laying on the bottom. As long as you didn't clean or backwash the filter for several days, you wouldn't lose the CYA.

Also... welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thanks so much!! I am at work now but plan on brushing the pool when I get home. I do have a vacuum but I need to buy a hose. I have not backwashed the pump so I should be OK there. This site has been a tremendous help. Im so glad I stumbled upon it in Google panic frenzy:shaking::shaking:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.