Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyone's best product to make life easier??

1. Back To Top    #1

Everyone's best product to make life easier??

I just finished my first summer with a pool and it seems winter is pretty easy since my Chlorine level like never drops lately.
    So I did BBB last summer and it was okay, What I want to know is what equipment is out there to make maintaing the pool easier. What is your favorite product/addition to make your pool life easier.

As is signature I have basic Hayward pump with dedicated suction for cleaner, nothing special, as well as solar pool heater.
    12,000 Gallon
    Hayward 2HP Pump
    Solar Panel
    TF-100 Kit
    Built 2004, bought Dec 2007
    BBB All the Way

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Everyone's best product to make life easier??

I think that the Wall Whale has been the best thing to come along for me to make my pool upkeep easier. There are places in my pool that are just really difficult to brush adequately based on the fact that I can't reach them very well. With the Wall Whale, I can actually brush fairly effectively by reaching over with one hand to brush. The spoiler on the Wall Whale provides the appropriate amount of force to get the job done. I just push and it does the rest. Great tool!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

I am very happy that we got a PH sensor controlling an automatic acid feed system. The PH automation, combined with the SWG, takes care of 90% of all the chemical adjustments automatically. The system was expensive, so it isn't for everyone, but it sure made my life easier!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

How hard and expensive is a SWG to add? Is it something I can do myself?
    12,000 Gallon
    Hayward 2HP Pump
    Solar Panel
    TF-100 Kit
    Built 2004, bought Dec 2007
    BBB All the Way

5. Back To Top    #5

I would have to say that a SWG is number one with the Wall Whale number two!

6. Back To Top    #6

Skimmer socks to catch dog hair.
    ~Megan

7. Back To Top    #7

Beer!
    16' by 32' cornelius AG vinyl liner, 6' deep end, 14500 gal.
    Hayward 250 Lb sand filter
    Hayward 40 GPM pump
    2-2' by 20' sun grabber solar heater.
    4 gal Liquidator. BBB

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by nitz369
    How hard and expensive is a SWG to add? Is it something I can do myself?
    SWGs start around $200 and go up to well over $1000. Most of the better quality units cost around $800 (Internet prices).

Installing a SWG requires making plumbing connections with PVC pipe and electrical wiring. These are both things that anyone who is reasonably handy should be able to handle, but hardly something that everyone would be comfortable doing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I stumbled on this one:

I picked up a pole with a spring loaded gripper to change a light bulb on my cathedral ceiling. Turns out, the water sample bottle that Leslies gives you fits perfectly in the gripper. I put the bottle in the gripper and dunk it several feet down to take a sample of pool water and then do my testing at the kitchen table. This is especially helpful in the winter when the water is COLD. I don't have to get my hands wet or even bend down.
    My Pool
    15k Gal Gunite Pool w/8 ft Spa w/Spillover
    Hayward DE Filter + DE Separation Tank
    Legend Sweep, Pentair Gas Heater
    Stenner Metering Pump for Liquid Chlorine Injection (15 gallon tank)

10. Back To Top    #10

1) Test kit
    2) SWCG
    3) Skimmer socks
    4) Wall Whale
    And a distant 5th) Robotic cleaner
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

11. Back To Top    #11

test kit, pool skim, polaris cleaner a.k.a. our little wall-e

chris
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

12. Back To Top    #12

My 18 yr old son.
    16,500 gal Roman end with PebbleFina finish
    4 x 160 intelliflo pump
    Easytouch controls with an IC40 chlorinator
    Sta-rite cartridge filter
    A & A infloor cleaning system
    Pentair 5g LED pool light

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

My favorites in a nut shell, I own a swimming pool maintenance & repair business.

1.) Pentair's VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump is amazing, every pool should have this pump if not just for the built in safety features and redundancies like the SVRS feature.

2.) As far as automatic cleaners go my two favorites are in order.."The Pool Cleaner" by poolvergnuegen. I love that it's got an enormous debris bag, at least 10-15% larger bag than on a Polaris 280 or 380 series. I love how much easier the hose kit works on the poolvergnuegen and that it doesn't leak at the swivels like the Legend II or the Polaris 360. IMO it's the most durable "affordable" cleaner I've used, Leslies won't sell these and hopes that they disapear because they don't break and create a profit margin with frequent repairs. These cleaners are also available as a suction type or pressure side which is a huge bonus. I personally like the four wheel models to the two.

My other favorite cleaner is the Zodiac G3/G4 models. I love it's ease of operation, accuracy, non abrasive diaphragm making it more friendly to various pool surfaces where often "wheeled" or abrasive cleaners like pool vac ultras and Navigators tear up plaster. Again this model is over built and rarely needs servicing.

-Ryan
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
    "Wow! What a Ride!"

15K IG Jandy Stealth 1hp, Jandy Aqua Pure 1400, Jandy CL 460 Cartridge, Jandy LXI Heat. Polaris Booster W/ 380 Cleaner Spa.

14. Back To Top    #14

DH
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

For me, I think the Wall Whale has got to be the winner. The price is nice, and it performs exactly the way its supposed to. Second place would be the solar blanket. Without an installed heater, this allows us to enjoy the pool about two months longer than we would without it.
    10K White Plaster Pool Built in 2007. Hayward Pump and DE Filter, Hayward Navigator, Liquidator (Removed due to issues), Solar Blanket, BBB user.

16. Back To Top    #16

1.a. This site!
    1.b. A Good Test Kit. The info from here on how to use it, not needing to "take a sample to the store" to know what is going on, or needs to go in is so rewarding. Knowledge is Power!
    2. Aquabot - I'll run it every other day instead of the filter pump, it's cut my electric bill quite a bit. I haven't used the manual vac in years, and only have to brush behind the ladder.
    3. SWCG running with the filter pump every other day means significantly fewer bleach bottles in the trash!
    4. Twenty Mule Team Borax - it may be just in my mind, but since it went in the water feels softer, I haven't had any algae, and I haven't bought any $15/quart Polyquat Algacide.
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

17. Back To Top    #17

1. Test kit
    2. BBB
    3. leaf rake
    4. robot
    25k gal in-ground, quartz plaster gunite, 400k BTU Heater, Hayward Cartridge Filter w/ Nature2 mineral, Ozone generator, inline 3" puck chlorinator that sucks.

18. Back To Top    #18

SWG for sure
    Pool Cleaner
    30,000 Gallons, Hayward C5030 cartridge filter, IG, Plaster, SWG

19. Back To Top    #19

Skimmer socks. They reduce the number of times I have to clean the cartridge filter. In fact, I now rarely get an increase in my pressure on the cart.
    Mike
    20,000 gallon in-ground gunite with attached spa
    Pentair Cartridge Filter
    3/4 hp Sta-Rite Pump
    2 hp Whisperflo Spa Pump
    Ray-Vac cleaner

20. Back To Top    #20

Definitely the Aquabot Turbo 2.

That thing saved my summer.
    2 years ago before I had it, my pool always looked dirty. Even right after I cleaned it

Now I put "SAM the pool cleaning man" in there 2 or 3 times a week and the pool always looks as clean as could be and the water is always sparkling bright blue.

Greatest investment I ever made for the pool!
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast