Hi from N Alabama

Jun 18, 2015
Madison, AL
First time pool owner here. Just bought a house with an existing in ground pool. My wife, daughter and I are really looking forward to enjoying it this year. With the heat we're having this week, right now would be a really good time to enjoy it, but alas, it is currently an algae farm. Well, maybe not quite. The previous owner "opened" the pool this year, and maintained it for a while, but at some point, they stopped maintenance (probably right after we submitted our bid on the house), and it has a green tint to it. I wouldn't call it a green monster, but IMO, it's definitely not in swimming condition.

And, of course, I have questions. I'll just go with one for now.

None of the kits available locally are as good as the TF-100 test kit that I'm ordering. So I hesitate to buy anything locally, but at the same time, I don't want to let the pool go for a few more days before doing anything. We have a Kokido 5 Way Swimming Pool Test Kit. It tests for Chlorine/Bromine/PH/Acid Demand/Total Alkalinity. Should we use that to enable us to do something now, while we wait on the TF-100 kit? Or should we do something else? I'd really like to halt the algae before the TF-100 kit gets here.

I have a bunch more, but that's my biggest current concern. I'll read around some, and I'm sure I'll find answers for most of my questions.

My first suggestion is to resist going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something, and it probably won't work.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. So, wait for your TF-100 before you go all out

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework assignment. Start with Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Use your 5 way kit to adjust the pH to 7.2 Once you have it at 7.2 add 2 bottles (121 oz 8.25%) bleach and one more each morning until your kit arrives.

Welcome to TFP.

The one important thing your kit is missing is the CYA test. In order to effectively do anything, you need to know that number.

I know the feeling of wanting to do something, so I'd suggest pouring a large jug of bleach in it each evening until the test kit is there. It should only take a few days for it to get there.

ETA -- Tim and I were typing at the same time. and basically suggested the same thing. Follow his instructions and you'll be good.

My first suggestion is to resist going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something, and it probably won't work.

I'm familiar with the concept. I do most of my own auto repairs, and I find that I know more than most of the discount store employees.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing.

The pool store reviews around here range from "greatest ever" to "I wouldn't let them install a kiddie pool". For the same store. I figure that I may not be as capable as "a real pool guy", but I'm more motivated to 1, get it right, and 2, do it cheaply.

So, wait for your TF-100 before you go all out

I was planning on waiting on the TF-100 kit before going "all out", but I've also read enough here to know that the longer I do nothing, the longer it will take to recover.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework assignment. Start with Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Already found that one. (Well, my wife did) I'll read through it today.

Use your 5 way kit to adjust the pH to 7.2 Once you have it at 7.2 add 2 bottles (121 oz 8.25%) bleach and one more each morning until your kit arrives.

Ah, good. A concrete step I can take to curtail the algae.

Thanks to you both for your quick replies.

I figure that I may not be as capable as "a real pool guy", but I'm more motivated to 1, get it right, and 2, do it cheaply.

If you read through the articles on this site and commit to proper testing and managing your own pool, you'll be the Real Pool Guy. Every "real pool guy" I've ever met doesn't have a clue compared to someone who has read through the first few articles here and understands them.

Happy reading and welcome to TFP! :wave:

Welcome Gearhead! You got great advice above, so I'll just say welcome as well and re-cap a couple things to prevent brain overload:
- Adjusting the PH is a good thing to do: Note - it will not improve your algae condition, just make it in-line for the SLAM process
- Start stocking-up a bit on liquid bleach; as you will see in your reading, bleach is used to SLAM & "Maintain" the FC level required to kill your algae

That's enough chatter I suppose. When your kit arrives, post some results and you'll have tons of replies to assist. Have a great day.

If you read through the articles on this site and commit to proper testing and managing your own pool, you'll be the Real Pool Guy.

Maaaybe. I have a 4 yr technical degree, but chemistry was my worst subject. And even what I DID learn about chemistry was, let's say, a few years (or decades) ago. The elements are still Earth, Wind, and Fire, right? :D

Every "real pool guy" I've ever met doesn't have a clue compared to someone who has read through the first few articles here and understands them.
Happy reading and welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thanks.

Thanks, everyone for the quick replies, and warm welcomes. I was hoping to get one decent response by the end of the day. This was way more than I expected.

Gear Tim has you set up! Add in brushing the pool and learning how your equipment works and what valve does what and you are good!

Kim

Is there a diagram around here (I'm sure there is) showing the typical components of a system? And what they do? I've looked, but I guess I don't know the magic search words.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gear, Take several pics of your equipment and upload them to photobucket or such. We can walk you through what is what.

There should be a filter and pump. After that .............it is all up to who built your pool.

Kim

I bought a new filter today. The pool came with 2 used filters of unknown history, so I wanted a new filter so I can get a good feel for "clean filter" pressures and flow levels. Should I install the new filter now, or should I wait until I get the algae under control? The current pressure is right at 10psi.

That is up to you. How do the old filters look? Any holes or missing fiber? If not I would use them up on the SLAM. That way you start new and clean with your SLAM is over.

Kim

This. Give the old filters a real good cleaning, spray out. You could even soak them overnight in automatic dishwasher soap if you have it to clean them out a little better. Then use them during the SLAM.

I tested for chlorine and pH last night. Below is a photo of the test kit showing the results. Basically, it shows no chlorine (yes, there IS tested water on the left side), and the pH is above it's max reading of 8.2. According to PoolMath, I need to add 39 oz of Muratic acid to change the pH from 8.2 to 7.5. I'm hesitant to do any more than that at one time. Good plan?

Attachments

• 20150618_185412_small.jpg
    20150618_185412_small.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 102
Did you input your TA into pool math when calculating as well? TA level will impact how much acid is needed to produce the desired pH change.

Get that pH in line and for heavens sake get some bleach in the pool. Perform all the TF-100 tests and post results.

# Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support