Need to raise CYA and want to ensure I am doing it right.

May 15, 2015
Brooklyn NY
Hello,
The kids were swimming in the pool and splashing alot of water out of the pool and I also backwashed so my water level dropped significantly. I added some water to bring back to proper level and rain also added some more. I tested CYA yesterday and it registered around 30. My goal is to keep it at around 75. I am planning to add granular stabilizer to bring the CYA back up to my goal number. Based on pool math, I need to add 37 ounces of stabilizer. My pool store only sells it in powder, not liquid. I read that I need to put the powder into a sock and leave it in the skimmer basket and run the pump for 24 hours and no backwashing for a week. What type of sock am I putting it into? Panty hose type or regular cotton socks?

Also, my daughter is having a pool party this saturday. Should I wait till after the party to add the stabilizer or is it ok to add it right now? Thank you

I have your pool at 6500 gallons. 30 to 75 CYA would be 39 ounces of CYA. Stick with your 37 ounce calculation though. Safer to add less, more later if needed.

Best method to add is put the granules in a sock and hang it in front of a return rather than the skimmer. Skimmer does work but I don't like that when you put it in a skimmer, that restricts flow and skimming action. Long poly-blend soccer type socks work the best, just one that is at least 2 layer and won't allow the granules to slip out. Knot the sock closed and tie a rope to the sock. Use a weight to hold the rope in place with the sock right in front of a return. You can put in in the pool immediately and it's safe to swim with the sock in place. Squeezing the sock occasionally will help it dissolve faster.

EDIT: Pump running until the CYA is all dissolved.

i put 2 lbs of CYA in my pool, i put it in the skimmer, and it took about 2 days or so. whenever i walked by, i would take it out squeeze it a bit in the pool to speed it up. will take a week to show up on your CYA test. i would not add full amount all at one. maybe 2/3 of what you think you need. 1 week after its all dissolved, retest and then add whatever else is needed to hit target.

That's the reason you should do it in front of a return, rather than in the skimmer. Then it won't mess with your flow/skimming/filtration. Large in-ground skimmers can handle the volume, but AG skimmers not as well.

How long it takes to dissolve depends on the brand of the product and the granule size. The smaller the granules, the faster it will dissolve. HTH brand stabilizer is the finest/smallest granules I've used. Like beach sand. Other brands I have tried are more like small pebbles, take longer to dissolve.

I didn't see what testing method you are using in your sig, so I have to ask. Are you using test strips for CYA testing or do you have one of the recommended test kits ?

I ask because I used test strips before I found TFP and WOW did I have high CYA. ended up draining half the pool, because I over "sanitized" :oops:

Wouldnt 2lb in the skimmer basket take up alot of the skimmer basket limiting water flow like JV stated above? Or am I mistaking how much space 2lb actually takes up. Maybe do 1Lb at a time?

I placed it in a tube sock and it sat on one side of my skimmer. yes, it restricts flow, but was only two days and my pool is completely enclosed so I don't worry about reduced skimming. I have an inground pool too, so a little bit different. hang it next to the return.

Lefty,
If I was using test strips, Id be embarrassed to even say it. Im using the Taylor K2006 kit. TFP has actually saved me from hating the pool experience. I actually look forward to testing my water and adjusting as needed. In the past I would use test strips and bring water to pool store for a money draining session. One of the best google searches I ever came across.

Lefty,
If I was using test strips, Id be embarrassed to even say it. Im using the Taylor K2006 kit. TFP has actually saved me from hating the pool experience. I actually look forward to testing my water and adjusting as needed. In the past I would use test strips and bring water to pool store for a money draining session. One of the best google searches I ever came across.

:laughblue:I know exactly where your coming from. My route was the same as yours ! God bless Google :google:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
laser with you having kids you might want to add the CYA the way I did.

I put it in one of my husbands long socks and walked around inside the pool squeezing the sock. It did not take long at all that way! No worries about the kids messing with it and you KNOW it is done!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.