3 or 7

3 must be maintained as a minimum, at all times. 7 is a recommended target where if you are manually chlorinating with bleach, you should add enough to get you to 7 ppm each day. Theoretically, it's the most cost efficient to maintain chlorine at a lower level as chlorine is lost as a percentage to sunlight each day. For example, say your pool loses 30% of its chlorine each day to sunlight only. If you start at 7 ppm, you'd lose 2.1 ppm, ending the day at 4.9. If you start at 5 ppm, you'd lose 1.5 ppm, ending at 3.5 ppm. You can see that over time, you're losing less chlorine each day and saving money targeting 5 ppm instead of 7 ppm. But the BIG caveat here is that at the end of the day, your FC cannot drop below 3. This is for illustration purposes only and of course, chlorine demand is not that simple but gives a general idea. This is why SWG pools can be maintained at a slightly lower FC for their CYA level because the FC is being added over a longer period of time with less spikes up and down of FC than manual chlorination. Liquid chlorine/bleach stenner pump systems are another way to moderate chlorine rise and fall throughout the day.

All that being said, I'd rather "waste" a few FC and a few cents a day by making sure my FC is always above minimum. My minimum is 3 FC but most days it never goes below 4.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.