Green pool

Debby

Jun 17, 2015
Oregonia, Ohio
Hi Im Debby and we bought a house and inherited a pool. We did not take it down we just covered it. We don't know how to get it ready for summer. It is a salt water filter and are we suppose to add salt as if it is a new start up? We didn't think so and we just added enough salt like the book said for a pool already with salt. The pool is still green. The readings I have are... copper 0.2, chlorine is low 0.5, ph is low 6.8, and alkalinity is low 40. We are totally new at this! I want to take it down :(

Hi Debbie and welcome to TFP. We can certainly help you. :) We advocate that owners take charge of their pool with the right test kit first. (see TF-100 link below) The proper test kit is everything. Why? Because we've all learned (from personal experience) you cannot reply on pool store tests, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They don't read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need.

Golden rule - Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Do not add anything to your pool other than what is advocated by the TFP site or its experts. You’ll have a happier pool, spend less time maintaining your pool, and probably save some $$ in the process. The following are short articles from this site that you will see linked in my signature below: Pool School, Recommended Levels (for YOUR pool), PoolMath Calculator, SLAM, and the Chlorine/CYA Chart.

Please read the "SLAM" link carefully below since I suspect that will be your first task once you get your own (proper) test kit. From there, we can assist you in every step of the way. :calm: We can help! Welcome.

Welcome to TFP!

Being completely new I bet that everything is just overwhelming. Well, you have come to the right place then. This forum is one of the best for helping someone not just get their pool clean but to also figure out what all this stuff means. It has created experts from people that knew nothing about pools. So if you want to still give it a try instead of tearing it down (and I hope you do!) then you will find incredible help here.

Before doing anything I would suggest reading #1 that Bo posted above. It is good to get an idea of the vocabulary. Then the test kit and further reading, and we will most certainly help you every step of the way! There are so many examples on the forum of green pools becoming sparkly clear and staying that way!

You can do this.