HOw much will rain effect chlorine level?

Jim H

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Monroe/NJ
I have a SWG- usually run it for 12 hours at 55-60% and it maintains chlorine between 3-5
Lately I've been increasing it almost every day by 5%. UP to 85% now and still at 1-3 on chlorine.
It's been raining a lot lately- I get that there is no chlorine in rain and it will dilute the pool water, but this seems excessive...
My other guess is that I got the CYA up a little too high?

FC 2
ph 7.8
CH 250
TA 70
CYA 80

With a CYA level of 80 and the FC down to 3 is a recipe for a SWG pool to develop nascent algae. You need to follow the Chlorine CYA Chart to avoid algae.

Like the others have already said, run an OCLT with an elevated chlorine level, I like to shoot for 10ppm for a first test. Make sure the SWG is off during the test.

Thanks.
Will run the test tonight.
I still have a hard time getting my head around the CYA...
If CYA is where it should be, does it require more chlorine to get it at recommended levels, but once it's there it takes longer to go back down?
By looking at the charts, it seems that the higher the CYA, the more chlorine you need to add. But once you got it where it needs to be, is it more 'resistant' to the sun bringing it back down?
Maybe I just need to boost the chlorine with a little bleach to get the levels up a bit?

based on FC of 2 with your CYA level, you probably have an algae outbreak. also, SWCG are great at keeping your FC levels consistent, but not good at trying to keep up with algae growth. they just don't produce enough chlorine, especially if the cell isn't way oversized.

You need to do the OCLT test, if you fail that, you need to SLAM. once you SLAM, and let your FC fall back to the correct level, you then set your SWCG to maintain the FC level. turn off your SWCG while SLAMing

and to answer original question about the rain. well it has the same exact affect as when you top off your pool with tap water. NONE. other than a small percentage reduction due to dilution. example i use is a pool with average depth of 4 feet, if you get 2 inches of rain, that's a 4% increase in volume, so your FC (and all levels) go down by 4%.. but once that evaporates off, its back to the same exact number.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
based on FC of 2 with your CYA level, you probably have an algae outbreak. also, SWCG are great at keeping your FC levels consistent, but not good at trying to keep up with algae growth. they just don't produce enough chlorine, especially if the cell isn't way oversized.

Would you suggest "supplementing" in bleach here and there to keep the levels higher?

Exactly! I raised my CYA to 50 and although my FC levels have to be higher, I'm losing less during a 24 hour period thus having to add less bleach daily.

Thanks.
Will run the test tonight.
I still have a hard time getting my head around the CYA...
If CYA is where it should be, does it require more chlorine to get it at recommended levels, but once it's there it takes longer to go back down?
By looking at the charts, it seems that the higher the CYA, the more chlorine you need to add. But once you got it where it needs to be, is it more 'resistant' to the sun bringing it back down?
Maybe I just need to boost the chlorine with a little bleach to get the levels up a bit?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.