2d inspection failed due to secondary boundary-bond fence-3 ft from waters edge

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
could've gotten water in the pool saturday. very disappointed that we failed the 2d inspection today. everything passed accept one of the gates to the yard from the street did not latch consistently when shut from different distances. the second reason was that the gate/fence guy and I were putting up posts and looking at where the gates will go and he asked "what are you doing here." when i proudly said we were planning for a fence, thinking he'd be glad we were going to have a secondary barrier, non-mandatory, and pass us, he failed us until the fence will be in place and bonded since it's less than 5 feet from water's edge. we asked him if we can set the posts and bond them and he said the entire gate needs to be in place. this is a custom fence, handcrafted from rebar and steel, and the fence guy said he could probably have it ready by the 26th, a friday. then he goes out of state the following monday. then we'd pebble and be in the pool in july. if something happened and he couldn't get it done on time or if it failed we'd be looking at mid-July. My husband and i are anxious to get water into the pool so that noone falls in it and cracks their head on shotcrete. however, we want to make sure things are safe. the pool company and the fence guy both suggested we tell the city that we decided not to get a fence. the gate will be fixed in the morning and the city has been rescheduled to come out tomorrow. according to the pb, a fence is not something that we have to permit or have checked out. it just happened to go that way since the inspector was there. they suggest we install the gate after the city passes us tomorrow. we went with that but my husband is worried that we should have the fence inspected so it doesn't fall down on anyone (I'm not too worried about that. we live by the mountain and the guy's work seems really good for strength. will be cemented). i was thinking of just having an electrician friend come look at it to see if it was properly bonded or get it checked later. it sounds like an easy job, so it seems as though we could check it ourselves. pb left us 3 areas of copper that are attached to the pool's bonding wire and we have to connect it with a bonding clamp onto the fence from how i understand it. we will have 3 gates in the fence, which is why we'd be bonding different areas. when the gates r open there would not be any connection with the next fence section. seems like common sense.

i'm sure the inspector will be leary of our change of plans to not get a fence. could this bite us later? can the city come by and do a surprise inspection at any given date or something like that? could the pb be wrong about not needing a permit and it'll cost us more $ and headache later if they come back when we do our kitchen and we never got this approved? what would u do? inspector will prob come out at noon tomorrow so might be too late to go back on this anyway unless i decide i want to ask him if we need to get it permitted/inspected later when we put in a fence. thx!

Eddd, i haven't quite thought of what i'll tell him other than we decided to cancel the fence and hope he doesn't ask too many questions. the "why" seems like a tricky one to answer. I guess I could answer without answering. "I spoke with my husband and we decided not to get a fence." i don't know if i can even say "... at this time". i just wonder what the rules r. if i'd have to get it checked out now why wouldn't i have to get it checked out later? maybe the rule is only on "new pools."

koffie, that's a great idea. i was just thinking before looking at your response that i was going to tell him we decided to cancel the fence because we didn't want to delay being able to fill the pool with water. earlier i was going to expand on my fears of the kids falling into a pool without water, but that makes us look like careless parents (not that not getting a fence doesn't make us look like careless parents). i like how u worded. it. i just looked up fences and pb was wrong. the brochure i found on phx' website says that any fence more than 3 feet tall should be permitted. now i'm feeling bad but it was a decision that we had to make of either having a dangerous cement hole in the backyard or not getting the fence checked out. now i have to decide if we will get it permitted later or just go for it and call an electrician we use for things like this to check it out later or our handyman. i think it's a no-brainer job and we could tell if it's done well but i do worry about breaking the rules. i don't want the city to nit-pick my fence that is not a standard home depot fence, either, and won't be 5 feet in one area due to elevation (where i will put some cacti or something so the kids won't be tempted to climb it) or if one of the slats is a centimeter more than 4 inches. they shouldn't be concerned with any of that since we will pass for safety after the latch is fixed and we didn't need a 2d barrier. i think he's just trying to make sure noone gets electrocuted which i appreciate, and maybe they do shake the fence to see if it's going to fall down but i think i can do that part. :)

btw, my kids r 6, 8 next mth, and 10 and all know how to swim, but they are wild ones, especially our little guy with impulsivity and attention problems. i worry about them pushing another one of the kids in thinking it's funny or falling in by accident while playing ball. the fence is for our piece of mind. i think we might also get a pool alarm. i wonder if i have to get that permitted, too. does have electric. i kept getting a shock once when i put my hand in a pool that had one of those (although i think it was off so was prob something else) done by my pb at their show pools. ''thx again!
thx!

thx everyone! It was a very close call! a new inspector came out and we told her that the 2 things we were failed on were fixed-the door was no doubt supreme in her eyes and we told her we scratched the idea of the fence because it was going to slow down the process to get the pool going. She seemed leary about the story and looked around asking if the previous inspector had went in the house, saying the windows did not look like they'd pass. later i measured and she's right, they shouldn't have passed. I'm so grateful she passed it as I'm not sure what we would have had to do; buy new windows? my windows are low to the ground and high to the ceiling. the lock wasn't 48 inches high, or whatever it was. ugggh. i think the locks with alan wrenches r a fire hazard. the fence guy is going out of town so we r starting the fence tomorrow cuz i know my kids and how my house will be most safe and although the barriers may be modified no kid will get in my pool or my backyard for that matter. we're good about padlocks and things that rn't even required. my brother, a very strict licensed electrician got back to me and advised me to get the pool filled and get fence later, not worrying about bonding it as it's very simple. usually he requires that a licensed electrician do any work that has to do with electric so I felt much better with the plan on getting water in the pool so the kids don't fall in and crack their heads.

now i have to hope that none of the pools guys report me for the fence getting put up for having been such a pain in their behinds and very detail oriented. being paranoid, but the inspection was such a close call twice! and it's officially swim time!! 115 degrees tomorrow! should be swimming by wed.

Why wouldn't certain windows sizes not pass? I don't understand the relation between a pool and windows in the house ?

I think it has to do with the locking mechanism so someone couldn't get to the pool through the window. I could be wrong. Some places also require tempered glass if windows are within so many feet of the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.