new user from the Phoenix area

Jun 17, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Hey guys! Thanks for the great resource here. I've been reading all the articles and linked posts in the "pool school" looking forward to taking care of a new (to me) in-ground pool. We are buying a house with a pool and I'm figuring out how to take care of it. If all goes well we will be closing July 31st, so I have some time for research before we move in.

I just ordered the TF-100 test kit (with xl option) tonight, and will probably test it out on my parents pool to get the hang of things (they are not as savy as you guys...and could probably use some help lol) But at least that way I'll know how to use the kit when we move into our house. Not sure what the previous owners did for pool care, but I know its a sand filter (no salt) with a plaster finish... Bummer it lacks the auto-fill option. Not sure when the pool was originally built.

So far I'm planning a "deep cleaning" as a member here posted a how-to article that looked pretty straight forward. I see a lot of pros to the SWG units and don't mind the up front cost for the long term ease of maintenance, so I'll probably go that route after a few months getting the hang of things as the system is now.

Overall just wanted to thank you guys for the wealth of information posted here, and I look forward to figuring this out once I get my hands on that test kit and our new pool... I'll be sure to post up once I get in the new house if I have any questions. Any tips you have given the limited information I can get to you now is welcome, but I'm not sure how much I can do before I get measurements and test the water... :)

Sorry for the lengthy introduction, thanks for having me here.

:D

Welcome, ColdSoda!

Great start having that test kit before you close. Testing on your folk's pool is a good idea....bring us the results and we'll explain them to you if you want? Go ahead and test your new home's fill water too if you can.

In your area its not unusual to have really high calcium and that's something you'll have to monitor but it can be managed with a few tricks here and there.

Oh no you did not! You bought the test kit BEFORE you bought the house! LOL I love it! YOU will never be pool stored!

Have fun testing your parent's pool. It will be interesting to see what they have to say about the TFP way.

Kim

Welcome, ColdSoda!

Great start having that test kit before you close. Testing on your folk's pool is a good idea....bring us the results and we'll explain them to you if you want? Go ahead and test your new home's fill water too if you can.

In your area its not unusual to have really high calcium and that's something you'll have to monitor but it can be managed with a few tricks here and there.

Thanks for the tip on the calcium. I'll check out a few threads about that..
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You will not miss it one bit. They have about as many drawbacks as benefits.
Ah - this is good to know. The home inspector said it was a drawback, and I didn't know any better, lol.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll let you know when I get more info to share!

Thanks guys.

The TF100 test kit arrived so I just had to stop over at my parents house and try it out. I figure getting a handle on the testing procedures will help when we get our own house in a 45 days or so...

Here are a few pictures of their pool for reference:
IMG_20150618_193628063_zpsgffenlgz.jpg

IMG_20150618_193653789_zpsdx2onc3l.jpg

IMG_20150618_193638286_HDR_zpsmp9nwbjc.jpg

Here are the testing results from yesterday @ 6/20/15 17:30 PST (assuming I did them correctly...)
ph 7.2
FC = 18ppm
0.5 CC
Cya >100 (didn't even reach the lower 100 line on the test tube... so somewhere over that number.
TA = 110
CH = 825ppm

Seems quite a bit off from what I am reading for "target levels"... Not sure if I should offer any advice to change the way they do their pool care, but interesting results nonetheless.

Thanks for the support guys, I hope the pool we get has some better numbers than this one.. ;) I'll let you know when I get the change to test it out.

Soda, Since you have read so much what WOULD you do if it were your pool?

I say you get your parents their own test kit. Show them TFP and tell them how much cheaper it can be to take care of their pool.

I am guessing they have a pool service that just throws pucks in the inline.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Soda, Since you have read so much what WOULD you do if it were your pool?

I say you get your parents their own test kit. Show them TFP and tell them how much cheaper it can be to take care of their pool.

I am guessing they have a pool service that just throws pucks in the inline.

Kim

Dad just throws pucks in the floating thing when they run out... He does say that he backwashes the pool every weekend for a few minutes... They are hard to convince to change their ways, I'll try the cost savings approach and see if I can change their minds haha.

If it were mine, I would use the pool calculator and see how much water to drain and fill with new water, then start a SLAM process. No other good way to remove the CYA as far as I have figured out. I still have to do some more reading on the SLAM so I dont know too much on the details. Also I know that the pH should be changed a bit, so maybe borax or baking soda will help that. It is helping to read the other threads with people successfully getting through a slam (like member bper for example).

Thanks Kim!